Electric Locomotive Controls

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Fender

Electric Locomotive Controls

Post by Fender »

What this post is about is how I designed the locomotive controls (throttle, reverse, brakes, headlight, etc.) for my diesel-outline, battery-powered locomotive.
I wanted something that was reasonably realistic. I really don't like the control boxes with the knob for throttle; this seems too much like HO scale. However, I especially like the prototype first-generation diesel controls, because they resembled a steam locomotive. The first picture is from the operating manual for an Alco road switcher. It had the throttle on the top of the control stand, and the engineman would pull the lever back to open the throttle. The reversing control was on the lower front of the panel. Various gauges, ammeter, and switches were also on the front of the panel.
The second photo shows my control panel. The throttle handle is also on the top, made from a piece of .25 X .375 cold-rolled steel. The operator pulls the handle back to go. The reversing switch is below that (toggle switch on top of the electrical box). It would be better if this was a rotary switch but the toggle will do for now. The ammeter is in the middle above the reversing switch. The extra holes in the panel are for brake gauges which haven't been installed. The various switches for headlights, cooling fan for motor, air compressor, etc. are on the right.
I had a problem finding a suitable 5K potentiometer. Most of them turn about 270 degrees from off to full on. This was totally unsuitable for my planned control. So what I did was to mount a slide pot on the top of the panel, with a plastic tube pushed over the slide control. This tube works inside of a slot milled into the throttle lever. The far end of the lever pivots on a machine screw. All of this is covered by a round plate for appearance. (See third photo)
Attachments
AlcoControls.jpg
DavenportControls.jpg
DavenportControlsPotentiometer.jpg
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
dorin

Post by dorin »

Great idea...I like it.
www.chaski.com
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

That is pretty cool! :)
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"

Post by 6491 »

Good morning Dan, I like your idea with the slide pot. Is the control stand going on the back of your loco or in front of you on the riding car?
Have a good one....John.
"MALCOLM MOORE LOCO & THE 100 FOOT RAILWAY" on Facebook.
Fender

Post by Fender »

John,
The control stand goes on the riding car. Thanks to all for the comments.
Dan
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN