Modern locomotive for the BCL&RR - A 1915 Boxcab =)

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

BearCreekRR

Modern locomotive for the BCL&RR - A 1915 Boxcab =)

Post by BearCreekRR »

Hello railroaders,

my little Bear Creek Lumber & Railroad was originally build as a log hauler. The workers set up some logging camps along the line and on major places, some small villiages grew up in the woods. This results in a small branch line service for passengers and freight on the logging railroad. In earlier days, the Shay was used to haul those short line trains between two log runs. Later a second hand bought Forney was added to the roster for the branch line service.

Meanwhile, my railroad is settled in the era 1910-1920 and both steamer are very busy to keep all trains on the line running. Finally, the railroad president (I) decided to order a thrid locomotive for the railroad. While the last years, only second hand oder home made rolling stock was used on the line, the budget was enough to buy a brand new and modern gasoline-mechanical Boxcab loco.

This engine really represent the modern times on the old railroad and will be used in both, logging and short line service.

Well... This may be "the story" behind ma actuall project. But as always, each story has something true =)

Some years back, I build a German light railway diesel loco in 2.5" scale. This was my first locomotive on 5" gauge track. As I changed the theme of my railroad from European light railway to US logging railroads, I added a new wooden cab and new couplers to americanize the loco. But the major scale of this engine was still 2.5" scale and my new US-stuff was 2"-scale. The loco was way to big beside the other rolling stock and finally, the diesel loco was to modern for my era. So I scrapped the old locomotive down to the chassic and started a new one.

Image Image
Click on thumbs for large pictures.

During research on the internet, I came across with eraly gas-mech Boxcab locomotives and this engines would match the time era of my other rolling stock very well as milestone to a new era (as told above :wink: ). At last, I choose a "freelance" model as prototype for my new locomotive - the BoulderValleyModel On30-Boxcab in 1/4" scale.

At first I rebuild the frame and lowered the floor for 30 mm. I also spend new journal boxes in the right scale and new endbeams. The old locomotive was build from plywood and some metal parts, so I decided to do so too on the new engine. The model is battery powered and I made a new stand for the batteries and started installation of the electric parts.

Image Image

The Box was made from 3/8 plywood and a lot of details. 840 nails are used to show the rivet details. I made the window frames and parts of the door on my cnc mill and just set them in place.

Image Image

Meanwhile, I painted the box in silver grey and the locomotive is 90% finished. Still missing, are the roof, some details, lettering and parts of the electric installation. I hope to get the model finished within the next days.

Comments are welcome =)

Cheers, Gerd
See my model trains at - http://www.gerds-modellbahn.de - Avaiable in German and English
willy

Post by willy »

Well done man. I only got as far as researching and drawing it up.
Attachments
23ge_dwga.jpg
BearCreekRR

Post by BearCreekRR »

Hello,

I added some more details, the electric parts and final paint to the body.

The roof will follow today.

Cheers, Gerd
See my model trains at - http://www.gerds-modellbahn.de - Avaiable in German and English
BearCreekRR

Post by BearCreekRR »

Hello,

meanwhile, the loco has been finsihed and I'll start the next project tomorrow. Hope you like the little Boxcab =)

Bye, Gerd
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Good Job!!
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Goose

Post by Goose »

Hello Gerd,

looks really nice, although I liked the former version, which looked similar to my 7.25" version.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Hi Gerd,
I have been searching many forums for anyone who builds in 1/8 scale and in wood and finally found this place. I build ride-on locomotives in 1/8 scale, (1 1/2"=1'-0"). The materials I use are mostly wood and some metals and plastics. I even make the wheels from Baltic birch which hold up pretty well. I have the machines to make them from metal, but I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible. I have two locomotives built, one is a 4-4-0 camelback and the other is a class D, 1-C-1 electric as used by the Swedish State railway. They are about 90% complete with minor details to be added. My current new project is an early 1925 diesel electric, "AGEIR", Alco/General Electric/Ingersol Rand. All my models have 12 v motors and are powered by automotive storage batteries. An engine weighs less than 100#. Motors and gearing are salvaged from electric scooters, childrens sidewalk cars or cordless tools. This being my first post, I will try to post a picture.
Attachments
Class D, 1-C-1 electric engine
Class D, 1-C-1 electric engine