Rapid Prototyping

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Mike Walsh

Rapid Prototyping

Post by Mike Walsh »

I think I saw a post somewhere about someone using Rapid Prototyping for their work in this aspect of the hobby.

I am doing a term paper for my Senior Capstone project on 'Rapid Prototyping in the 21st century', and would love to see photos of the use of Rapid Prototyping in this hobby. It could also help with my presentation, as I am inclined to do a case study in RP'ing in mold making.... Hopefully I can find some inspiration around here!

BTW cross posted to "riding" forum because I'd like to reach both crowds. Hope our moderators are okay - if not, let me know.

Thanks!

Mike Walsh
Manufacturing Engineering Technology Student
Rochester Institute of Technology Class of 2010
rrtrax4501

Post by rrtrax4501 »

Mike, I tink the late Lee Wright had a online artical about how he did this for some ditch lights patterns for is models.
jpfalt

RP and mold making

Post by jpfalt »

I've been running rapid prototypes for several years now for making patterns for sand castings. Most have been for
Gary Martin at Martin Model. If you check his website, you can probably find the casting set for the die filer, which were all made from RP masters. I currently have two projects going, engine parts for a 1901 Locomobile through the Portland Tech Shop and a section of 1/6 scale Tiger Tank tread which will be investment cast. I own the Dimension 3D printer at the Portland Tech Shop and have been running prototype parts there since September.

PM me.

Jim Pfaltzgraff
ScaleModeler1974

Post by ScaleModeler1974 »

The late Lee Wright??? :?: :shock:

When did this happen? :?:
FredR

Post by FredR »

Lee pasted away several months ago.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... lee+wright

Fred
ScaleModeler1974 wrote:The late Lee Wright??? :?: :shock: