The "Bear Creek News Gazette" - Issue 2010

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

BearCreekRR

The "Bear Creek News Gazette" - Issue 2010

Post by BearCreekRR »

Good morning,

this year, I'll rebuild and repaint most of my rolling stock of the Bear Creek Lumber & Railroad. This thread will be used as a progress log to show you some details from my car shops and other railroad related activities. I hope you'll enjoy the progress on my little railroad.

With the upcomming spring, the temperature in my workshops are getting higher too, so it's possible to do some work there after a cold winter break.

In 2010, I'll rebuild some of my rolling stock (nearly each model will be placed on the workbench for some modifications) for more details. The first car in the shops has been the Crew Car and had it's rollout yesterday in the late evening.

Rebuild of Crew-Car #11

As I build this car a half year ago, I choose an design shown on the website of Lennart Elg with a simple car body, riding on a pair of disconnects, so I didn't need new trucks and wheelsets for this car. Here's a picture of the first version.

Click on thumbs for large pictures.

Meanwhile, I didn't like this solution as in the begining. Since one pair of disconnects is used under the car, I've only 5 pairs for log trains so set up two strings of log cars isn't quite possible. Last year, I bought some wheelsets for new car projects so I decided to spend new trucks to the crew car.

The trucks are close to an very eraly unsprung wooden trucks, build by Russell Car & Foundry. You can find similar trucks on civil war railroad cars in the USA from the 1870th. The journal boxes have been made from copper caps and steel angle. I milled a hole to match the caps and soldered the parts together.

Image Image Image

I cut some roof lathes to 20x20mm and 20x40mm bars to form the truck frames. I glued and screwed the parts together and add some truss rods. All wooden parts have been stained in a grey-brown and the metal parts are painted black (... I see a red door and I want it painted black... *sing*). As on the prototype, I added a truss bar between the journal boxes and the truck frame, running from one end down to the cross member and up to the other end of the side frame.

Image Image

At the car body, I had to replace the bolsters since the new trucks will be placed more to the center of the car and a bit deeper as the disconnects. I also installed a 3-point-support for the trucks to get a smooth running car even on bad tracks. On the endsills, I added some truss rod NBWs (just fake) and the link&pin couplers.

Finally, I cut away the lower step below the door, as the car body rides some cm lower than before.

Image Image Image

Next I'll add a 3-point-support to the work caboose and will start repainting of the freight cars.

Bye from the BCL&RR car shops, Gerd
See my model trains at - http://www.gerds-modellbahn.de - Avaiable in German and English
Oilcan

Post by Oilcan »

Gerd:

Nice rebuild on your crew car! I like your easy-to-build approach for the trucks. Thanks for posting!

Neil
Editor Emeritus - Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading
Allen Mogul under construction
Electric RS3
Stationary Steam
BearCreekRR

Post by BearCreekRR »

Many thanks,

last weekend, I replaced the truck mounts on the work caboose for better tracking on rails. This was the second chapter on my to-do-list.

Next I'll repaint and detail my equipment flatcar. Wheel sets, journal boxes and couplers will be painted black while the car body will get a coat of loam-brown like my snow plow. This color pattern will become new standard on all freight cars at the BCL&RR. I'll also add some chain eyes to bend down loads and additional boards on top.

The photo below shows the car in the actual style. The same changes will be done on my boxcar.

Image Image

To be continiued =)

Gerd
See my model trains at - http://www.gerds-modellbahn.de - Avaiable in German and English
BearCreekRR

Post by BearCreekRR »

Hello,

the last week, I finished both freight cars. The cars have been repainted and relettered. The flatcar is #4 now. I like the new paint pattern in loam brown and black much more than the old "toy look". The boxcar got a new roof decking on.

Image Image Image

I also started repainting of the gravel car #3 but didn't finish the car yet. Maybe today.. we'll see.

Another model railroader in Germany started a 2"-scale branch line water tank some month ago. He needed the space in his garage for other stuff and didn't finish the tank, so I got the chance to buy the parts. The tank is very big and propably to large for my 30"-gauge stuff. I think it's designed for std. gauge trains. Anyway, I'll finish the tank and maybe I can place it on our club layout.

Cheers, Gerd
Oilcan

Post by Oilcan »

Gerd:
Again, very nice work! I have a fondness for the diminutive rolling stock similar to what you have built. It's nice to see the variations of the different builders and their rolling stock.

I thought you might be building a trestle by the looks of the last photo. Then, I read your comment and find that you are building a water tower. That looks like it could be a very impressive structure when you're through. Don't forget to take some photos!

Neil
Editor Emeritus - Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading
Allen Mogul under construction
Electric RS3
Stationary Steam
Goose

Post by Goose »

Hello,

I started this watertank a couple of years ago for a section of the lightrailroad at the indoor live steam festival in Sinsheim.

Personal problems with the organisation and the change over to Karlsruhe made the decision, not to patricipate anymore, and so I had no use for the tank.

The frame in the above picture is for the branchline watertank, which is build after the 1/4" kit from Evergreen Hill Designs.

A photo of an HO-scale model can be found here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/data ... GP1167.JPG

And this photo also shows, that the base is not to big for the small engines of Gerd.

Greeetings from Germany
Hubert The Goose
pockets

Post by pockets »

Looks like you have a good start on that tank.

I've been a fan of that tank for many years. I think that I've still got the Model Railroader article on it. Back in the day, before the kits came out, it was a fascinating build in HOn3 and On2. It's now on my list for construction in 3-3/4" scale.

Greg B.
When the man at the door said, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms," I naturally assumed it was a delivery.....

"From my cold, dead hand!" C. Heston
BearCreekRR

Post by BearCreekRR »

Hello Hubert,

I think the tank will be to big for my trains. But that's no problem.

When I'm back home on Friday, I'll compare some scale drawings and photos together to show the relations between 2"-scale std gauge, 3' gauge and my tiny 30" stuff that turns out to very small 2" stuff on a larger gauge.

But there are other good news to report.

I finished the snow plow on Monday (the tank cover is still missing) and played with some card board on my Shay.

As I shrunked my Shay in length and width, the std. cab doesn't look very good as I had already feared.

So I go back in my mind and picked up the "Plan B" for my Shay. As the vertical part of the T-boiler is to high, a std. cab doesn't look right on this engine. So I canceled this design and will go forward on an open plantagen cab. LIMA c/n 774 was build in 1903 with such a cab and looks close to what I've build yet. The loco matches my Shay by 85% in technical data.

Shays with plantagen cabs are rare in large scale, especially in Germay so this loco will become a "kind of its own". To get a first idea of the new Shay design, I redraw my basic side view plan.

I'll be back in my workshop on late Friday and I'll start with the new tank and cab asap. Progress will be posted in the live steam section soon.

Bye, Gerd
Attachments
Vergleich.jpg
CIMG7508.jpg
CIMG7506.jpg
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Gerd: I will not critique your original works. They are your creations, and quite good to my eyes. I look upon them as unique and not out of line with early locomotion ideas. By some respects fairly primitive to save on costs.

You are truly capturing the flavor of woods railroading, where hauling the timber was important, at low cost. Often the machines and rolling stock were less than pretty, just enough to get the job done.

I enjoy your postings, thanks.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
BearCreekRR

Post by BearCreekRR »

Well,

I like simple and easy to build solutions for most thinks I model as long as they look fine scale and hihgh quality after all.

Here's another example.

IMPORTANT !!! Please go off of this posting when you can't consider a water tender build from plywood and sheet aluminum on a live steam locomotive!!!

The first tender I started with from sheet brass and copper rivets was placed on the junk yard. The design and form of this tank was close to the prototype, but bad in handling on a live steam locomotive. So I replaced the not finished tank by a new one. I checked my material storage at home and found plywood, sheet metal (brass and aluminum) and a large number of grooved pins with rivet heads. That's exactly the same stuff I made the Forney tender from.

First I build a box from plywood and added quarter round stripes to the edges to form the basic tender. The rear segment will hold a brass tank for water while the front segment is for coal storage. The width coal bunker makes it possible to handel the coal shover between the coal storage and the fire door.

Next I cut 5 pieces of sheet aluminum, drilled a large bunch of holes and set them in place with the grooved pins used as rivets. The tank cover was made from sheet brass as it has more stabilitiy as thin aluminum.

At last I added a bunch of details. 275 grooved pins as rivets has been set on that tender. Still missing are the water hatch and some other detail parts. Once the tank has been painted, it's hard to see that this tank was basically made from plywood.

Image Image Image

I also added a hand brake. I thought there would be no need for a hand brake since I go forward on a working steam brake. But what to do when the loco was blown down and no steam is avaiable to use the steam brake ???

So I reworked the brake rigging and build a hand brake stand from stock material (steel & brass).

Image Image

I started the read sandbox the same way as I build the water tank and covered a piece of plywood with sheet aluminum. Next I'll build the support and covers for the sand box as also all the small detail stuff.

Image Image

Finally, I'll post much more pictures and descriptions to my homepage this evening after work.

I'll finish up the rear section of the Shay, including the sandbox and tender tank next before I start a new chapter.

Cheers, Gerd
BearCreekRR

Post by BearCreekRR »

Hi folks,

I made some good progress the last days.

The rear sandbox was completed with details and has been installed after painting. The water tank got the hatch on and was also mounted after painting.

Image Image Image

After some hours and many sketches, I came back to the first design for my Shay and build a wooden std. cab without side windows. The cab is colored to match the look of the Forney.

I used plywood for the basic superstructure and added boards to create the typical look of a Shay cab.

Image Image Image

Next I made the bell. The bell itself was bought some years ago from a sail & boat supply shop. All other parts are made from steel.

Image Image Image

So here's an actual view of the whole thing from yesterday :

That's all for now. I ordered material for the sand dome yesterday and will continue with the dome and the head light next. Once all boiler adds are done, it's time to start the steam engine... So I'll spend some hours on the CAD drawing board to create the steam engine. I think I'll build a mokeup from wood and styrene first. By building those parts correctly, I can use them to oder castings in bronze, brass and other material.

Bye, Gerd
BearCreekRR

Re: The "Bear Creek News Gazette" - Issue 2010

Post by BearCreekRR »

Good morning,

during the last days, I build the sand dome from steel pipe, discs and round stock. It's ready for the paint job now and I'll start with the smoke box front next.

Bye, Gerd