ID gear boxes

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

cbrew

ID gear boxes

Post by cbrew »

Hi all,
I have started repowering my little 25 ton box cab and i have found excessive wear in the gear boxes and fear they may fail soon if I continue to use as is.
Questions,
  • 1) can anyone ID them?
    2) And are they rebuild able?
I have not had a chance to disassemble them yet.

BTW I believe these gears boxes out date me and I am 35.
Thanks again
Chris
Attachments
boxcab1.jpg
boxcab2.jpg
boxcab3.jpg
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
willy

Re: ID gear boxes

Post by willy »

LOL I have seen gear boxes like these on awning systems.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

The shape is familier. The internals are crossed helical gears, not an efficient setup, and the bearings could be ball or sleeve. If the gears are not too badly worn, they probably can be rebuilt. You might have to make new shafts if they have sleeve bearings.

I have seen them recently in some RR vender's products, possibly Cannonball? A search of power transmission product catalogs should give you a source.
AusDan

Post by AusDan »

Ive got no idea if they available in Aus, but have a few sites in the US where they use them for ride on trains etc

heres a link to shiny new one http://discoverlivesteam.com/forsale/1_ ... #Bloomberg

Tol-O-Matic gearboxes
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Hi all
Thanks for the help,.I have found them at $168 each.
I will pull these apart and look into rebuilding them, if that is not possible then i will most likely replace them with chain drive
Thanks again
Chris
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Yep, Tol-o-matic. I have gathered some from Ebay, where they go for crazy prices. I buy them @ under $40, 1 inch shaft.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

steamin10 wrote:Yep, Tol-o-matic. I have gathered some from Ebay, where they go for crazy prices. I buy them @ under $40, 1 inch shaft.
Off to ebay i go :)
Thanks for the insight