Diesel Cyclopedia question

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

JohnHudak

Diesel Cyclopedia question

Post by JohnHudak »

Hi All, Does anyone here have volume 2 of Kalmbachs "Diesel Cyclopedia" that they can look up something for me? I guess these things are selling used in the $100.00 range, and I don't want to buy one just to find out the wheel diameter of an EMD model 40 listed on page 28....
Thanks; John
ALCOSTEAM

Re: Diesel Cyclopedia question

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

For the most part EMD wheels have been 40" diameter. Some of the latest models have went to slightly larger diameters but for the GP40 era they were 40".

Which Kalmbach book are you talking about, the blue paperback cyclopedia?

tim
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

I went and looked for my copy and the book is the rusty red paperback color encyclopedia.

Page 28 is the little switcher not the GP40

Still shows 40" wheels though.

tim
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

ALCOSTEAM wrote:I went and looked for my copy and the book is the rusty red paperback color encyclopedia.

Page 28 is the little switcher not the GP40

Still shows 40" wheels though.

tim
Hi Tim, That little switcher is what I was looking for, it's an EMD model 40, not a GP-40......
So 40" is the diameter? Thanks that's what I needed...
John
Fender

Post by Fender »

Yeah, they are pretty cute. I think they would make a good greenhouse, too, with all that glass. :) Apparently only 11 of these critters were built. I photographed one in LaCombe, LA about 40 years ago. See below link for an example:

http://www.kinglyheirs.com/RailSiteLink ... rstown.jpg
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
kc6uvm

Post by kc6uvm »

There's one of those EMD model 40s at Travel Town (next door to LALS) in Griffith Park. I took some pictures of it for a 1.5" scale project ten years ago. Built a light wood body that fitted over about a three foot long frame of bar stock and angle iron. The frame sits a top springs and pillow block bearings. Using a pair of Superscale couple pockets. A pair of small twelve volt batteries would be a tight fit in the cab. Been busy going back to college @ CSUN. 8) Hitting the big 5-0 :!: and back working on a second BS and MS degrees (in engineering). So most of my projects are buried away in the garage and storage. :(
George J. Becker
Lancaster, CA (formerly of Shandon, CA)
Model railroading is fun but the work expands proportionately to the track gauge.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ugly lil duck ain't she? I think it was a stolen design from Lionel.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
kc6uvm

Post by kc6uvm »

steamin10 wrote:Ugly lil duck ain't she?
It's been said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Getting it's owner around the club truck with minimum cost is the priority.

A 1.5" or 2.5"NG version of this little engine would fit nicely in small truck or SUV with room to spare for riding car :mrgreen: .

The little engines make for good entry level purchases for newer members or those that want something light to haul around.
George J. Becker
Lancaster, CA (formerly of Shandon, CA)
Model railroading is fun but the work expands proportionately to the track gauge.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

True enough! I used to run a much worked over Lil Gasser. It was a ton-o-fun. I have all (?) the parts to build a similar Critter, just not the time or ambition yet. Maybe if I survive the winter.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Yeah, I think I'm going to try and put one of them together this winter... My first love though is still 3/4" scale steam, but it would be nice to have something to take to all the local tracks to run without seeing if there's a highline, and my club, NEOLS has the only highline within 200-300 miles?? (or more?) .... Soooo it looks like I'm going to take the plunge into 1 1/2" scale... I looked at all the little industrial locos, and didn't really see anything that "did" it for me... Until I saw that little EMD model 40... I learned a lot about building electrics from the 3/4" scale "F" project, so I'll put that to good use here.. I did a few quick calculations, and I may have to "tweak" a few dimensions here and there to be able to fit the large batteries under the front and rear hoods, but it shouldn't be enough to look out of scale..
I already bought a 1 1/2" scale flatcar from Marty Knox, so that part is all done... The only thing I need now is the time.....
John
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

John,

There are two of these within fifty miles of me; one is at the Walkerville Southern just north of Frederick, MD, and is easily accessable any weekend. The chief mechanic on it is the owner of Tiny Power.

The other one is in the museum at York, PA, but I have never seen it, so I do not know how accessible it is. this is an older photo of it:

It is an amazing combination of stock GM parts: SW cab, two 6-71 Detroit diesels on a common driveshaft, running a pulley to a stock auxilliary generator used as a main generator, and a par of D22 combos.

Steve
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

SZuiderveen wrote: The other one is in the museum at York, PA, but I have never seen it, so I do not know how accessible it is. this is an older photo of it:
Steve

Steve, I knew of the one in York but not of the one in MD... I called the industrial museum in York to see if the unit was accessable for photos and measuring, and was told that it was. So I'll stop by there when we're in York for the TCA meet next month..
John