Santa Fe reefer

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: Santa Fe reefer

Post by JBodenmann »

Hi Brian
Very nice reefer. I have enjoyed watching the progress of your build.
Jack
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Thank you Jack.
TheSteamChannel

Post by TheSteamChannel »

Do you have any additional photos of the reefer? Inside, end sill area, overall? I'm planning to start on two this summer after my caboose is knocked out. Very nice work by the way!
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Thank you.

I took quite a few. Probably more than the folks would want to post here.

Let me review my photos here and see what is missing.

I did plan on it originally being a working ice bunker reefer, so is built with double wall construction with blue foam insulation in between. After giving it serious thought, I just couldn’t bring myself to fill it with ice and expect the drains and polyurethane to prevent eventual water damage!

A soft side cooler fits and works just fine without the destruction of the car!

Building multiples is easy once you figure out construction and dimensions. Just cut out all the main parts at one time.

Take care,
Brian
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

I don't have any early construction pics. Mot sure why I didn't take any.

Again, the frame is the "standard" 1" square tubing, 1" angle iron, 1 x 2 center tube, made for Tom Bee trucks.
The body is 3/4" plywood floor, ends and sides, with blue foam insulation inside, and 1/2" plywood inside sheathing.
The 3/4" plywood extends to the bottom of the side angle, and screws hold the plywood sides to the angle. The floor is bolted through the 1 x 2 tubing in several places, as well as the bolster bolts extending from the 3/4" floor down through the 1 x 2 tubing, then to the trucks.

I based a lot of my thinking on another board member who built a BAR reefer,and installed stainless perforated panels to hold ice. Not sure if he ever put ice in it, but I decided not to.

I did find this photo looking down into the car from the end. You can see the 3/4" exterior plywood, a top strip covering the blue foam insulation, and the 1/2" interior plywood.
RR-4Bunkers.jpg
Here's an end shot completed. You can see the oak strip I cut for an end beam, and the poling pocket castings.
stencil14.jpg
Hope this helps.

Brian
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Great build!
I can understand not wanting to put ice in it, wood is seemingly never waterproof no matter how much finish you put over it, unless you were to glass it with epoxy resin. Now, some of the epoxy systems will adhere to polyurethane(one boat builder filleted his woodwork with polyurethane construction adhesive and then used an epoxy resin system over it). So if you wanted, you could use that and glass the inside so you can use it and it should last a long time.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

I prefer connies paint masks over the decals...a little mist or bleedunder is easily touched up, as decals seem to come loose and fall off over time...where as paint can always be touched up