Track etiquette.....

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Tamper84

Track etiquette.....

Post by Tamper84 »

Hello All,

I have been planning to visit to my nearest track,which is 2 hours away from me. First visit to a live steam/riding track. I understand being polite and general well mannered. But if someone has an interest in this hobby and visits your track for the first time. What are something's they do that would upset you and not let them visit again? I just don't want to do something to get me kicked out ya know.

I know running a loco is out of the question. I would never ask that. Any don't would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris
cbrew

Re: Track etiquette.....

Post by cbrew »

for me,
its people that are pushly and have a "know it all" attitude that get under my skin..
Be respectful, listen more then speak and NEVER try to help unless asked :)
If asked to help, ask the owner where its safe to grab the equipment.
  • 1) Don't walk on the track
    2) Don't Touch as some of the detail can be bent or broken easily
    3) Don't get in the way
    4) Some times is not good to be distracted while going over the steps to fire an engine.
    • For me, once the fire is lite, that is the best time to chat while the water is warming. :)
Please don't read this wrong, Must of us love to share our toys, just be respectful :)

Chris
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Chris, I thought I was the only one who was annoyed by #4. I love to talk ONCE the fire is lit and I'm done with prep. Otherwise, I seem to forget something when someone is talking to me. It's the reason I don't chew gum.
Matt Mason
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

I am not a railroader but a live steam modeller and for me, it is the same - don't bug me until the fire is lit! Worst of all is when I am trying to unload a ton of machinery from the trailer on to the ground!!! I have a system, it works well, and it requires my complete attention so stay away when there is moving machinery - I don't have time to watch out for you AND the machinery - and don't distract me.

Once the fire is lit, I have over an hour waiting for steam and I LOVE to talk! I'll talk your ear off or you can regale me with your stories for the rest of the day but when it is time to load up, it is alone time again!

Rule #2 - DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING without asking first! Everything is dirty, my engine is hot, and my machinery is big enough to take your finger off without even noticing so keep your fingers (and clothing) away from it when it is moving. If you want some hand-on time, that can be arranged.

Rule #3 - Control your children! Children don't have the experience to know what might be dangerous or the coordination to avoid dangerous situations.

(These rules apply to full-size steam shows as well.)
Tamper84

Post by Tamper84 »

Thank you guys! I don't have any children my self. So controlling them wont be a problem lol. Thank you for the rules. And Chris, nothing you said was taken wrong or harsh. I am respectful of other people. When I was younger mom drilled the golden rule into me. And I have stuck to it ever since.

If there is anything else you all can come up with. Please let me know!

Thanks,
Chris
Fender

Post by Fender »

Don't discuss politics, religion or the merits of 7.25 vs. 7.5" gauge! And even more impotantly, don't have an opinion on stainless steel boilers!
:shock:
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
bcody

Post by bcody »

There are track gauges other than 7.5"?

Not in my book there isn't.

Bill
Patrick.B

Post by Patrick.B »

Aside from the don’ts, here are some things to make sure you do:

-Be sure to introduce yourself to whoever owns the track (if it is private) or some of the club members if it is a club.
-Be sure to ask questions! Since you do not have a train yourself, you are only going to get something out of your trip if you are social. Most railroaders (of any scale) are very social and like to talk about a wide range of topics. This has a plus in that you might get to know someone who may be able to get you a ride, or even to drive a locomotive eventually.
-Understand every person is different. I know guys who will let someone they just met run their locomotive, and I know others who don't let their family run their equipment.
-If a train has riding cars (either dedicated drop center cars or gondolas with seats), don't be afraid to ask for a ride. If a train has riding cars, they will almost always say yes to a rider.

There is no better way to learn about the hobby than actually going to a track and talking to people, which it seems like that's exactly what you are planning to do. So have fun, and enjoy your trip.

PS - I noticed you are in Ohio, you wouldn't by any chance be visiting the NEOLS at our open meet this weekend would you?
Northeastern Ohio Live Steamers
3.5", 4.75", & 7.5" gauge club
Medina, Ohio
www.neols.net
Tamper84

Post by Tamper84 »

Well I havent thought about the NEOLS meet this weekend. Does it go on all weekend? I have plans on Saturday. Sunday may be a possibility. Also, where is the meet at? The track I was going to meet is a private track, Mill Creek Central in Conshocton. Also, I seen (on another site) that there was a track in Marietta, which is only an hour south of me. But I can not find any contact info.

But any way, I will research about the meet this weekend. I think I have the web site.

Thanks,
Chris
Patrick.B

Post by Patrick.B »

Mill Creek Central is a fantastic railroad. I go there quiet often and plan to be there for his Fall Blow Down Meet in October.

Our run this weekend is an open meet going from Friday-Sunday.
Northeastern Ohio Live Steamers
3.5", 4.75", & 7.5" gauge club
Medina, Ohio
www.neols.net
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Mill creek central is one of those places I hope to run at some day when I can take an extended trip back east with my trains (that may be a while...)

The advice here is good. Not peppering a person with questions while they are loading, unloading or first getting a fire lit is a good one. I'm sure I was guilty of that when first in the hobby. But once the needle is off the peg on the steam gauge I'd say it's fair season :)

Observe, smile, take rides, ask questions in general. Show enough interest and someone might invite you to take the controls for a little jaunt but as they say always wait until offered, don't ask.

If you're handy with a camera, take pictures of people running their engines and send them the photos. People rarely get pictures of themselves on their own engines. At least I don't because I'm the one usually taking the majority of the pictures at a given meet, heh. That's how I got to know everybody when I was getting into the hobby and why everyone at any given meet in California knows who I am.

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
tburzio

Post by tburzio »

If a person is interested, I recruit them to fire my engine. Your hands will get dirty!

I have never been accused of not talking. In fact, if you stay around long enough, we'll probably both collapse from lack of water and food! :mrgreen:

I don't let others drive the engine (it's the only one I'll ever have), but I'll take you around.

Bring a notebook and a pencil to write down e-mail addresses. There's no WAY you will remember much...

Wander around, ask questions about how people chose the equipment they did (and not so much about the equipment itself). Ask about things they would do differently, since their experience may help you decide on your own train some day...