Some 3" scale log cars

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Harlock

Re: Some 3" scale log cars

Post by Harlock »

Hi Glen, thanks for the pictures! Those are called disconnect logging trucks, and are used exactly as you say. When they come back up the hill empty the train sure is a lot shorter with one truck connected directly to another! Each truck had couplers on both sides.

They're kind of rare in live steam but I think I've seen at least one pair.

The cars I made are called skeleton log cars, as opposed to putting logs on flat cars which was also done.

The basic arch bar trucks I have underneath my cars are Pacific Coast Railroad freight trucks made by Steve Easlon.

Cheers,

-M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Mike, thanks for the explanation. I never thought of how they would return the trucks back to the logging operation! Two couplers on each truck makes sense. I've been researching WW 1 train equipment and have seen a couple of gigantic 4 wheel boogies, set up to haul massive long range trench buster artillery guns- one tube mounted on a massive reinforced truck. Same principle as logging now that I think about it.

One related issue - where did you buy your 3" scale couplers? Maybe I asked that previously. So far I've found large scale couplers only at RMI... I need to source 8 or 10 for a tender and some rolling stock.

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

They are 2 1/2" scale Sharon couplers from RMI. I use them to be compatible with 2 1/2" scale equipment if the need arises. It means I can occasionally borrow a flatcar or two from friends.

-M
rassel1986

Post by rassel1986 »

Hi,

It is interesting for me to know why do all existing friction draft gears at this moment have a twin steel spring inside? I'm talking only about the compression springs (not release springs). There is no-one friction draft gear with a single compression spring inside. The question is, why?
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

On my couplers, there is one spring on both sides of the bearing plate (for compression and expansion) as you can see on the previous page. I am not sure I understand?

-M