Erskine Tramway

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

chooch

Re: Erskine Tramway

Post by chooch »

First a question. What are the two Crank posts for on the motor car. To hold the train on the hill?
Train looks Very nice. Car barn too, I remember you building it.
Now I know why your cars only have four wheels-after paying for that wall.
(BIG grin)
Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

chooch wrote:First a question. What are the two Crank posts for on the motor car. To hold the train on the hill?
Train looks Very nice. Car barn too, I remember you building it.
Now I know why your cars only have four wheels-after paying for that wall.
(BIG grin)
Hi Chooch....

Yup, the wall's got a few bucks in it :lol:

The cranks aren't on the Motor. They are on the track surfacing car that was parked on the siding behind the train. Here's a picture of the car. It has a couple of hooks that clamp to the rail so that the two jacks can lift, separately or together, to raise and level the track. It also holds my level's stadia rod to establish the track elevation.

I've got so many cars now that I need a new Car Shed :shock: I'm going to use the one I have for locos, and build another for cars :lol:

Mike
Attachments
8-1-14 final assembly.jpg
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
Erskine Tramway

Here's a train of firewood today: http://youtu.be/vAW6pOOLXG8

Enjoy,

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
Erskine Tramway

We got in a new load of firewood, so Sadie, the track superintendent, and I made a few trips up to replenish the "ready" stacks down by the house. The temps were in the 60's yesterday and today, so I got down a half-dozen train loads, should be enough to keep us going for another month or so.

I also got started on the trucks for the 4-wheel passenger coach. They are kind of giant "LGB" style two-wheeled trucks, with a link and pin drawbar. The trcu bolster is supported by the springs, which hang from the truck frame. It's a modification of the 4-wheeled truck design we used at Sandleys. The design is an experiment, so I'll get the trucks assembled, and the body bolsters mounted on the car frame, and try them out.

Mike
Attachments
Sadie at the end of track with the wood train.
Sadie at the end of track with the wood train.
The passenger truck frame.  The wooden blocks are standing in for rubber springs.
The passenger truck frame. The wooden blocks are standing in for rubber springs.
chooch

Post by chooch »

Hi Mike,
Nice looking train for hauling fire wood. I told you I like to look at backgrounds etc. as well as trains.
I wonder who the "shadow" is second photo down giving us the bird. :lol: -[page one)
chooch
---------------
I did a little track surfacing yesterday, in preparation for hauling firewood this weekend. Here's what Erskine Junction looked like when I finished.
Erskine Tramway

chooch wrote:Hi Mike,
Nice looking train for hauling fire wood. I told you I like to look at backgrounds etc. as well as trains.
I wonder who the "shadow" is second photo down giving us the bird. :lol: -[page one)
chooch

Looks like partly me taking the picture, and partly a weed at the end of track :lol:

Mike
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Where are you located?

Your track work and wall looks very nice. The railroad looks like a very unique short line.
Erskine Tramway

Pontiacguy1 wrote:Where are you located?

Your track work and wall looks very nice. The railroad looks like a very unique short line.
Thanks, it took a while to get where it is.

We're in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

Mike
Erskine Tramway

Here's a picture of one of the Passenger trucks temporarily bolted together:

Mike
Attachments
Passenger truck mock-up.
Passenger truck mock-up.
Erskine Tramway

The other day, while I was getting the train out to haul some more wood, I coupled the truck to the front of the Motor and shoved it out of the shed. Even temporarily bolted up, it tracked pretty well and didn't derail :D When Christmas is over, maybe I'll get a chance to do the welding on the trucks and body bolsters. Then, I can mount them on the car frame and see if they will actually "self steer" when being pushed, or if I'll need to put a link between them to help out.

Enjoy.........

Mike
Attachments
Erskine Passenger truck test.
Erskine Passenger truck test.
Erskine Tramway

I got the chance to do some welding last weekend, so I assembled the truck frames and bolster assemblies. The nearest one is in its' proper place, the other is just sitting on top cooling off. Don't want to set the bench on fire :shock:

Next chance I get, I'll weld the bolsters to the spring planks, and the couplers to the frames. Then, I can open the holes out to 7/16" and drill the center pin holes. That's all it takes on the trucks, I'll weld the ears on the body bolsters and bolt them to the frame. Then, it will be test time, we'll see how it works.

Enjoy, and Merry Christmas.

Mike
Attachments
12-23-14 assembled weldments
12-23-14 assembled weldments
Erskine Tramway

Here's a little progress I made today. One of the couplers ready to weld to the truck frame.

Mike
Attachments
1-8-2015 coupler.jpg