Erskine Tramway

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Erskine Tramway

Re: Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

rkcarguy wrote:Looking good, getting to be a fairly long train there. How's she do with them all full of firewood?
Well, I'll know in a week or two, when our new load of firewood gets delivered. I do know that 'Sparky' will shove three Heywoods and the coach chassis full, up the 2% out of the Yard. I tried it last year :D When I get a train load, I'll take it out to the end of track and see if I can pull it back up, without 'doubling the hill'.

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
Erskine Tramway

Hi Folks.......

I did the hauling test this afternoon. After I loaded all the cars, I took the train down to the end of track to see if "Sparky" could pull them back up. The test was successful, The loco pulled the whole thing back up to the Car Shed. That's more of a load than I expect to ever move in that direction, so I'm happy. Admittedly, the speed dropped noticeably coming up out of the 'sags' in the track, but it made it. When I get around to raising the sags, the grade will be the steady 1% it's supposed to be, instead of up and down. I started out with 23.4 volts on the meter and went down to 22.0 pulling the steep sections. After standing for the photo at the Shed, it recovered to 23.4.
10-13-17 load at end-of-track.jpg
10-13-17 first load.jpg
I'm not going to start re-splitting the bigger pieces until next week, so I stashed the cars in the Car Shed for the weekend.
10-13-17 stored in Car Shed.jpg
Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

SWEET!

-G
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Erskine Tramway

I got inspired and took the riding mower out and ran a line. It shows up dark in the picture. Depending on exactly where I terminate, the extension measures about 610 feet. Now that I have an idea of the alignment, I can take the laser out this week and see if the levels are something I can live with. I'd like to keep the grade down to 2% or less, but I can exceed that for short distances. I'll take my measuring wheel and marking paint out and mark 100 foot intervals and see how it works.
10-15-17 new line.jpg
Mike
tomc

Post by tomc »

sometimes tall grass can be a blessing!

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Erskine Tramway

tomc wrote:sometimes tall grass can be a blessing!

Tom C.
Yup, how's the grade look to you Tom? Not as steep as some of Jack's :D

Mike
tomc

Post by tomc »

it looks like it starts out ok but may get steeper toward the rear. u will be able to tell once u get the 100 foot increments plotted.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

That's great, that's a lot of firewood! Figure over a ton there? I would say it's a good full size pickup load at least. Future ROW looks very scenic!
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Ahhh. Just like the real railroads, you'll have to survey your route so that you get the best compromise between ease of construction and ease of operation. From the look of your picture, you have some land features that you're going to try to avoid when building. Congrats on a really great place to put your railroad!!!
Erskine Tramway

Hi Folks.....

This afternoon, when I finished 'running the levels', I got out the GoPro and took a run over the line. For your amusement and amazement......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O-ow2x ... e=youtu.be

Mike
NP317

Post by NP317 »

That was fun! Thanks for sharing.
You have accomplished a lot!!
~RN
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Mike, is your crawler one of the little guys the military dropped by parachute?
John Brock