Erskine Tramway

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Erskine Tramway

Re: Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

tomc wrote:refresh me, what is the reason to go to the end and what will happen there?

Tom C.
Tom.....

It's a place to set up targets, and collect a lot of projectiles :D I'm thinking about sidings at 100 and 200 yards back from 'the butts'. Mike Brown even designed a herald for the Tramway :D

Mike
Attachments
Erskine Tramwaymail.jpg
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
Mike Ehlert

Post by Mike Ehlert »

Erskine Tramway wrote:Hi Folks........
In any event, for your interest, a picture of the panel in the jig. And, I found the overhead view of the track plan.

Enjoy,

Mike
That is one monster project. Keep up the good work.
Mike
Erskine Tramway

Mike Ehlert wrote:
Erskine Tramway wrote: That is one monster project. Keep up the good work.
Mike
Thanks, I'm plugging away a little at a time.

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
Erskine Tramway

Hi Folks....

The rail drilling jig I got from 'Real Trains' a few years ago didn't fit my old joint bar spacing, but it's just perfect for the new angle bars. I had to do a little file work on the jaws to make a better fit on the new rail, but otherwise, it's fine. Here's the result.

Mike
Attachments
7-29-16 rail drilling jig.jpg
Erskine Tramway

Hi Folks.......

The other day, I finished ballasting and tamping of all the track I've got down now. The Tramway mainline is now 346 feet long over the ends.

Mike
8-14-16 end of track 346 feet.jpg
Erskine Tramway

Hi Folks.........

We've got an infestation of 'Common Mullein' weed in the North 20. The County wants it gone. I've been trying to get somebody out to either spray it or mow it without success. So, after I removed the bucket from Johnnie Deere, I started out to mow it myself. I got a couple acres done before supper, enough that the track can be seen. It's going to take a while, at 48" a pass, but I'll keep plugging away. The whole 20 acres doesn't need to be mowed, just the parts with the weeds. Since then, one of the neighbors helped out with his 'rider', and we got it done in a couple days. Here's a telephoto shot from where the end of the line will be.

After I got it finished, I went out and took a couple of shots of the ground. It's easier to see the contours without all the tall grass. When I get done with some of the 'huny do's', I'll take the laser out there and see if I can run a line that's fairly level.

Enjoy,

Mike
Attachments
8-29-16 close up.jpg
9-7-16 middle small.jpg
9-7-16 North end small.jpg
Erskine Tramway

Hi folks.........

While I am waiting for the Steel contractors to get here and put up the Car Shed, I've been cleaning my "metal shop" room. I got a set of shelves today to hold my raw materials up off the floor, and did some rearranging of stuff, so that there is more room in the middle of the shop. That's a good thing :D

This morning, I took some time to make an Official Company Instructional Video on the proper operation of the Car Shed 3-way switch, so here it is :wink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy93pW4rEsk

Enjoy,

Mike
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Very Nice! You might find it convenient to turn off a few of the first threads (down to the minor dia. or a bit smaller) on your clamp bolts, and bullet-shape the end. Then they will be much easier to start. This is how NASCAR Lug Studs are shaped; they cannot be cross-threaded.
Erskine Tramway

Kimball McGinley wrote:Very Nice! You might find it convenient to turn off a few of the first threads (down to the minor dia. or a bit smaller) on your clamp bolts, and bullet-shape the end. Then they will be much easier to start. This is how NASCAR Lug Studs are shaped; they cannot be cross-threaded.
Thanks, Kimball. I figured on knocking off the fairly sharp ends of the thumbscrews. The main trouble I had in the video was that I was trying to get an overall view, so I wasn't looking straight down at the holes like I do when I'm actually doing it, and the threaded bushings weren't always lined up with the holes in the plates..

I've been cleaning up the shop while I'm waiting for the steel building guys to get here. I'm doing some of the little things that have been waiting for me to 'get time'. So, here's the collet chuck that I fitted to the backplate yesterday.

Mike
collet chuck mounted.jpg
Erskine Tramway

Well, folks.......

The steel building crew finally showed up and put together my Car Shed. I'm happy with the building, and now, I'll set up my chop saw out there to cut the framing for the ends. The front end will have a wide door for three tracks, and the back wall will have a narrower door in the center. I may put a window in the back wall, for a little light when the doors are closed. I'll be able to back the pickup up to the back door pretty level to load equipment on or off. Now that the building is up, I'll be able to replace the track that I removed to protect it from damage during construction :D Then, I can move the equipment that's in the garage, and setting outside, under cover :wink:

Here's a couple pictures of the shed, and the first attempt at the end drawing.

Enjoy,

Mike
10-5-16 shed finished.jpg
10-5-16 shed finished 2.jpg
Shed door plan1.jpg
tomc

Post by tomc »

Nice Mike what did they think of ur track?
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Erskine Tramway

They asked what I was going to use it for, up on that pad, and when I showed them, they thought it was neat. One of them was more impressed with my VW 'Safari', aka 'Thing', it being a Mexican built and all :D

Mike