WTB 1/2" NPT Male Close Nipple Fitting (0.5" OAL, diameter taper on each end, Brass or 316 Stainless)

This forum is for those individuals or small business to solicit requests for Service from those members of our group. Machining, Foundry work, Sheet Metal work etc. This site makes no guarranty of work or represenation by the users of this site. It merely attempts to provide a place to allow individuals the opportunity to meet and discuss needs and capabilities.

Moderator: Harold_V

McycleRider

WTB 1/2" NPT Male Close Nipple Fitting (0.5" OAL, diameter taper on each end, Brass or 316 Stainless)

Post by McycleRider »

Hello all, I am hoping someone is interested in making a custom 1/2" NPT Male Close Nipple Fitting with 0.5" OAL and diameter taper on each end in Brass or 316 Stainless.

In case it's helpful, I bought the fitting linked below from Home Depot, but it was too long. I need a similar fitting, but with 0.5" total length.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1- ... /207176628

Per this forum post, this type of nipple fitting should have a diameter taper on each end:
https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions ... ipe-nipple
"Note that the threads on a nipple like this should have a diameter taper on each end. This causes the fitting to get progressively tighter as each end is screwed into its mating part. When tightening the two joints simultaneously the two tapered joints will turn till one gets tighter than the other. At that point the looser one will then tighten up till it catches up and becomes similar tight to the other joint. Eventually you will achieve the necessary thread engagement with each end of the nipple."

Also, I found a post on this forum discussing "How to thread very short piece of pipe."
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=100926&sid=ae872018 ... 7&start=12

Thank you for your time and consideration!
Harold_V

Re: WTB 1/2" NPT Male Close Nipple Fitting (0.5" OAL, diameter taper on each end, Brass or 316 Stainless)

Post by Harold_V »

Close pipe fittings are the length they are of necessity. If you shorten one, it isn't likely to fit where you intend to put it unless you have some control over the diameters of the threads in question. For that reason, I highly recommend you provide more information, including how you intend to use the needed nipple.

Welcome to the board.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
McycleRider

Re: WTB 1/2" NPT Male Close Nipple Fitting (0.5" OAL, diameter taper on each end, Brass or 316 Stainless)

Post by McycleRider »

Thanks for the welcome! I agree about the diameter taper of the threads and did not have any luck with just shortening a close nipple - the shortened close nipple leaked. I am hoping someone might be able/interested in making me a shorter version of a male close nipple. In other words, a male nipple fitting with diameter taper threads on each end, but not as many unused threads in the middle (1/2" OAL).

In regards to intended use, I am installing a Hansgrohe retrofit shower system into a tiled shower. The existing plumbing inside the wall includes a 1/2" NPT female fitting (e.g., to receive a shower arm). The retrofit shower system includes a 1/2" NPT female fitting that is very specific to the system. A typical 1/2" NPT male close nipple fitting (1 1/8" OAL) leaves an unacceptable gap between the shower system and the tile.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

The Grohe might have a straight (parallel, not tapered) 1/2" sockets. That's common on Euro stuff, but maybe yours is tapered for the US market.
If it is straight, a straight 1/2" nipple will screw further into it than the tapered one, and would make your situation a lot easier.

A rubber or fiber washer between the 2 female parts might solve your leakage problem, sealing the flanges instead of the threads. If the flanges are reasonably flat.
McycleRider

Post by McycleRider »

I think you might be right about the straight socket on the Grohe fitting (see pic below in case it's helpful). As for the gasket idea, I currently have the shower system mounted in the shower so it is out of the way, but I will pull it down later so I can see if the flange in the wall is reasonably flat. The flange on the Grohe fitting does look to be reasonably flat.

Here are a couple of pics of the Grohe fitting for reference.
PXL_20210412_180031086~2.jpg
PXL_20210412_175449529~2.jpg
I am also ncluding a pic of the unmolested close fitting I tried. Given the dimensions of the unused threaded portion (a little over 1/2") on the close nipple, I would probably be better with a 5/8" OAL custom nipple if I went that route.
PXL_20210412_175633899~2.jpg
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Assuming you do need to end up with a tapered thread on each end of the nipple, if making one on the lathe, set the taper attachment to a steeper taper than the normal 3/4" per ft. pipe thread taper. That approach has saved me more than once when dealing with a female fitting with a short threaded section.