fly wheel

This forum is for those individuals or small business to solicit requests for Service from those members of our group. Machining, Foundry work, Sheet Metal work etc. This site makes no guarranty of work or represenation by the users of this site. It merely attempts to provide a place to allow individuals the opportunity to meet and discuss needs and capabilities.

Moderator: Harold_V

lotsasteam

fly wheel

Post by lotsasteam »

building a hit n miss engine:Hoppy from Rahout germany (believe was made in GB) the parts are nice machined the only design flaw is the aluminium fly wheel which das not have the mass for a smooth run :I need 2 brass rings 140 mm OD 95 mm ID 15 mm wide ( cast iron will do also ) the rings will be loctite to the alu flywheel! Any body can give me a source or quote? Thanks in advance!
HM5.jpg
SteveM

Re: fly wheel

Post by SteveM »

You might want to specify your location.

In fact, if you put it in your profile, it will appear under your name in every post.

Steve
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Sourcing material to make these out of brass is going to be expensive. The best I could find 1" drops of 360 brass was about 75.00 each + shipping. Cast iron would be ok and only about 30.00 and shipping per piece. You might also look at steel as you can get pipe weld flanges with a big hole already in the middle fairly reasonable as well.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Could you cast lead around it?
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
redrocco

Post by redrocco »

I have two brass pipe flanges removed from some old 3" copper pipe that might work. The ID is 2.920" the OD would be 5.5" if they were turned down just enough to get rid of the 4 bolt holes and they are about .5" thick but would be more like .460 to .475 thick range after they were faced. In metric the finished part would be 95 mm ID and approximately 139.7 mm OD and 12 mm wide. Let me know if your intersted, i can just sell you the 2 flanges for $40 + shipping or if you want me to turn them down for you, and then they would be $100 + shipping for the pair.

Hears a pic of one of them.
pipe flange resized.JPG
lotsasteam

Post by lotsasteam »

Sounds ok to me i 'm away from home so give me a few days so i can x actly measure the id so i only need to ream it out a little to get a god press fit!
Thanks! Manfred
redrocco

Post by redrocco »

Sounds good to me, let me know what you want the ID turned to and I will leave as much as I can on the OD and thickness when I clean them up. I am guessing the shipping will be around $10 in the cont. USA.