Simple leather work?

This forum is for those individuals or small business to solicit requests for Service from those members of our group. Machining, Foundry work, Sheet Metal work etc. This site makes no guarranty of work or represenation by the users of this site. It merely attempts to provide a place to allow individuals the opportunity to meet and discuss needs and capabilities.

Moderator: Harold_V

sudeva

Simple leather work?

Post by sudeva »

Does anybody know someone who's good with leather, could do some fairly straightforward stitching and hardware and finishing? I have all the materials (leather, hardware, thread) for some belts, but I don't have all the leather-cutting/punching/stitching/etc. tools necessary for this task. It's the sort of thing you could quickly teach yourself with a YouTube video if you had the equipment, not much beyond that level, but of course to execute it well is beyond that level. :) Thanks.
NP317

Re: Simple leather work?

Post by NP317 »

Locate a local cobbler, if any still exist.
Rarified business now.
~RN
sudeva

Post by sudeva »

I was thinking of giving it a shot. Reason I was looking for advice is that the last guy I got to adjust some belts was a good cobbler, always great with shoes, but a bit sloppy with the belt work. Bit too rarified it seems! :)
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

What kind of belts are you doing? Belts for your pants or belts for your machines?

If it's for machines, you need a clipper lacing device.

Steve
sudeva

Post by sudeva »

Definitely belts for pants. Sorry, of course I️ should have realized I️ needed to be more specific on this of all forums.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

OK, then the clipper lacing isn't going to be the best option :-)

Steve
sudeva

Post by sudeva »

Well, you never know. The industrial heritage look is still in vogue. Clipper lacing would be maybe less for a trouser belt and more for women's corsets!
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Almost any Amish community has at least one leather craftsman. They might not be in any phone book but just pull up to any hitching post and ask and you will be directed to the area's leather shops.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Sorry I am late to this. I used to go to a lot of gun shows and there are typically a number of leather gun belt and holster makers with displays.
I picked up a card several years ago with this information:
HardCore Gun Holsters, LLC
MFG of Gun Holsters also Custom Sewing
Willis Miller
11406 Harrison Road
Apple Creek, OH 44606
Voice Mail 1-800-609-1941

For almost certain a gentleman named MILLER living in APPLE CREEK Ohio is either Amish or Mennonite.
I can't verify if this fellow is still in business, but it may be worth a call if you are up a tree.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.