Need coupling bored and key way broached

This forum is for those individuals or small business to solicit requests for Service from those members of our group. Machining, Foundry work, Sheet Metal work etc. This site makes no guarranty of work or represenation by the users of this site. It merely attempts to provide a place to allow individuals the opportunity to meet and discuss needs and capabilities.

Moderator: Harold_V

4elements

Need coupling bored and key way broached

Post by 4elements »

I'm trying to swap a motor on my log splitter but I found that the new motor shaft is 1"and the old was 3/4" so the coupler to the pump won't fit. I've tried to find a new couple without success. The problem is that the key way is 3/16" and I am not coming up with that size in a 1" bore. The coupling I have is a Lovejoy L075. I have a Grizzly 3 in 1 but it's brand new and not ready to run. Can someone in the area of Granite Falls, WA do this?
Steggy

Re: Need coupling bored and key way broached

Post by Steggy »

4elements wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:41 pm I'm trying to swap a motor on my log splitter but I found that the new motor shaft is 1"and the old was 3/4" so the coupler to the pump won't fit. I've tried to find a new couple without success. The problem is that the key way is 3/16" and I am not coming up with that size in a 1" bore. The coupling I have is a Lovejoy L075. I have a Grizzly 3 in 1 but it's brand new and not ready to run. Can someone in the area of Granite Falls, WA do this?
Rather than go through that much trouble, why not replace the coupling with an L95 or L100, using a combination of a 3/4 inch bore half and a 1 inch bore half? For example, two pieces of McMaster SKU 6408K14 (one piece with 1 inch bore and the other with 3/4 inch bore) and one piece of McMaster SKU 6408K75, which is the "spider." The smaller bore would be attached to the pump shaft.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
4elements

Post by 4elements »

Thanks for the reply. When I searched both lovejoy and McMaster I didn't find a coupling with a1" bore and a3/16"keyway in the L095 series. Also my pump shaft is 3/8".I may have missed something, but I couldn't come up with a working combo
f350ca

Post by f350ca »

Use a stepped key.

Greg
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

4elements wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:49 am Thanks for the reply. When I searched both lovejoy and McMaster I didn't find a coupling with a1" bore and a3/16"keyway in the L095 series. Also my pump shaft is 3/8".I may have missed something, but I couldn't come up with a working combo
A 3/16 inch keyseat is not industry-standard for a 1 inch shaft. Are you sure about the PTO shaft on the engine?
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
4elements

Post by 4elements »

Yes it's 3/16". That surprised me too when I researched it. The motor is a Briggs&Stratton from a front wheel drive lawn mower that the drive gear box failed on. I found a co- worker who will do it for me.
tetramachine

Post by tetramachine »

Take the 1" coupling and have a 3/16 keyway cut, a 10 minute job. As long as its not a blind hole, if a 2 piece coupling is what I assume it is.
Sent it to me the keyway is gratis, you pay shipping.
My wheels don't slow me down