Cabinetmaker needs part made- KC MO area

This forum is for those individuals or small business to solicit requests for Service from those members of our group. Machining, Foundry work, Sheet Metal work etc. This site makes no guarranty of work or represenation by the users of this site. It merely attempts to provide a place to allow individuals the opportunity to meet and discuss needs and capabilities.

Moderator: Harold_V

sjackson

Cabinetmaker needs part made- KC MO area

Post by sjackson »

Hello all,
I'm a cabinetmaker in Pleasant Hill MO and have recently acquired an old
Delta wood lathe. At some time in the past the original tailstock was replaced with what looks to be a metal lathe tailstock.
[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/s ... 170004.jpg[/img]

Trouble is, the taper in the ram is apparently not a morse taper.
Too big for #1 too small for #2.

I was hoping to pay someone to ream this out to a #2 morse taper.

Thank You
Sandy Jackson[/img]
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I'm not certain, but it may be more than just reaming it out. There may need to be a tang slot at the bottom for preventing the taper from turning.

Also, might need to see if the existing part is hardened.

Might be easier to adapt a tailstock from another lathe.

Steve
sjackson

Post by sjackson »

Thanks for the reply.
I put a hacksaw blade to it and don't believe it to be hardened.
No slot needed just a #2 m/t.
From a non-machinist point of view, it looks like the best place to bore the taper would be right here on my own machine.
I've always heard a lathe is the only machine that can make itself, maybe I should be investigating tooling.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

If you have a method of holding drills and reamers in the spindle you should be able to do it. Drill out most of the metal in different size steps and finish with a Morse #2 reamer. You will probably need to turn the spindle by hand as the running speed would be way too high. You may be able to use the spindle just for alignment and turn the reamer with a handle of some sort.

Don Young
Richard-TX

Post by Richard-TX »

Someone at OWWM.org should be able to help you.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

There was an ad for Subaru a while back that talked about Volvo crashing cars in brick walls, then showed the Subaru driving around it.

Here's a couple of suggestions to drive around the brick wall:

If you haven't, try ebay.
Not sure if this is the right one, but here's one for less money than the MT2 reamer will cost
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0562716206

Also, try Joe at www.plazamachinery.com . Most of the folks here know him for selling metal tools, but he sells woodworking equipment and parts too. Good guy, but sometimes slow to respond to emails.

Right now, he's showing:
Tailstock for Delta 10" old style wood lathe #46-110, excellent, $80.00

I'll second OWMM as a resource. You may be able to find a catalof or parts list to show you what you need if you want to find the original one, or someone there might know what else might work. There's a for sale section there too. Put in a Wanted ad.

Steve

Just realized that this post was from 4 months ago and the OP hasn't been heard from since.