Need quick milling job done (please help!)

This forum is for those individuals or small business to solicit requests for Service from those members of our group. Machining, Foundry work, Sheet Metal work etc. This site makes no guarranty of work or represenation by the users of this site. It merely attempts to provide a place to allow individuals the opportunity to meet and discuss needs and capabilities.

Moderator: Harold_V

kyo

Need quick milling job done (please help!)

Post by kyo »

I have some rather simple parts that I desperately need made. This is a prototype fixture for a new attachment that should make my typical work a -lot- easier.

Basically I need 1/2" x 2" flat aluminum bar stock machined flat on the ends, and a few holes drilled and tapped.. that's about it.

I work with lathes, I don't have any milling/drilling equipment.

I attached one of the part drawings, there are 3 total. This file I only need 1 of, another that is identical but slightly taller I need 1 of, and one last part which is quite a bit longer (but no through-holes) I need 2 of. I can email the other files. I have .dxf CAD drawings or I can provide jpg sketches if you prefer, these really aren't very complicated.

I've tried getting local shops to do this for me, but with no luck at all.. I live in an area that is extremely busy with oil/gas work so shops don't have time for small projects like this without charging ridiculous amounts of money. I'm actually at the point where if I can't find somebody to do this fast, I'm going to have to buy a mill and do it myself.

If you can help, name your price and I'll send payment immediately.

Thanks,
Kyle Weems
Attachments
example file
example file
GlennW

Re: Need quick milling job done (please help!)

Post by GlennW »

You might want to post your location.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
arthur.marks

Post by arthur.marks »

kyo wrote:I work with lathes, I don't have any milling/drilling equipment.
Set it up in a 4-jaw. Face each of the six sides using the cross-slide. Do careful layout with Dykem or a thick Sharpie marker. Scribe hole locations and center punch---this is all using hand tools. Chuck up the piece in the 4-jaw again. Use a sharp pointed rod you've machined on the lathe held in the tailstock. Better yet, if you have a center finder with the pointed tip, hold that in the tailstock. Line up the center punch mark with the either indicator tool in the tailstock. Replace indicator tool with twist drill. Drill your hole. Repeat for each hole. Voilà! :wink:

Might also want to add the diameter of the through holes and counterbore call-out...
home-machinist

Post by home-machinist »

I can help you. I have mill and lathe machines at home I can do it for you. send every print to my email "afterworkhomemachinist@gmail.com.