Loosening screw issue

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RSG

Loosening screw issue

Post by RSG »

Hi all!

I have been experiencing some issues lately with the center-screw that holds the spool on the spindle coming loose on some of my reels and it's rather frustrating. I was hoping to bounce it off of the guys on the board and see if there were any ideas that might help. It would certainly be appreciated.

It only happens when reeling with your left hand which is in the same direction as unscrewing a screw. I thought at first it was the peoples hand hitting the screw causing it to loosen but that's not the case. It appears as though micro vibration loosens it just by winding the reel.

A brief overview of the components:

Center screw- anodized aluminum
Spindle (it screws into) - 303 stainless
Thread fit - semi-tight (not sure of thread classification)
Blue lock tight - very small drop when the reel is new

The screw can only be hand tight as it's meant to be undone on the river for maintenance if necessary. I know the obvious solution is to use a left hand thread but that only fixes it if it's a person that is right handed. I was wondering if some sort of washer would work - one that presses up again the inner race of the bearing. Included is a pic of the center screw un-anodized. I scratched it with a knife prior in hope of causing some friction on the fit.

I would appreciate others opinion of this as to it's ability to fix the issue or not. Anyone have any ideas? I'd live to hear.

Thanks in advance
Ron
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Inspector

Re: Loosening screw issue

Post by Inspector »

Pretty much all aircraft fasteners are locked somehow, from lock wire and cotter pins to deformed locking sections of the thread. The best for you because you want it reusable and non damaging might be to cut a lengthwise slot in the threads and press in a little hard nylon or perhaps delron rod. It will crush as it is installed and hold against the vibration. The downside is that it will only last a few removals and reinstalls before no longer holding. Another variation is to drill a hole across the diameter, through the threads and putting the rod in that. Downside is that it makes for a weaker fastener and it only lasts for so long. It might be user replaceable if they have the smarts to punch out the old plastic pin and press in a new one.

Another possibility to look into is a fibre washer. Usually made of a phenolic material like micarta.

You might also consider a finer thread pitch.

Pete
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

look at a Belleville Washers it will keep tension on the screw head. also if need be they can be stacked. the other thought is a short coil spring
http://www.keybellevilles.com/faqs/default.php

for a little more info on the item
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Another idea....back from my motocross days in the 70's, is a home grown version of a nylon patch lock screw. I'm sure you've seen those. I've never seen a spray or liquid sold to make your own....maybe something available out there?

We used a lot of 3M weatherstripping glue in lieu of Locktite. A good cleaning, with a wire brush & contact cleaner, and a dab of the glue.Use too much, and if you let it set up....it ain't comin' loose. You will wreck the threads or twist off the capscrew first. Right size dab, and you could tighten, loosen, and tighten things again, and it would keep you from leaving parts on the track somewhere. Stuff worked well.
Maybe with a bit of experimenting, you could get the size of the 'dab' right, like we did? Might take a bit of scmhoozing with a loose fitting die too, make it thread shaped....but oversize.

Stuff can be interesting to work with...it's a serious contact cement is all. Stringy... It was known as gorilla snot, and alligator snot back then....what's that tell ya? It was an inexpensive and very effective thread locker though.

Just a thought....

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

warmstrong1955 wrote: It was known as gorilla snot, and alligator snot back then....what's that tell ya?
You left out "yellow death".
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Glenn Wegman wrote:
warmstrong1955 wrote: It was known as gorilla snot, and alligator snot back then....what's that tell ya?
You left out "yellow death".
:shock: Yellow Death??

I've heard Mister Stick, Thread Remover, Thread Stripper, and just plain ol' sticky-glop....but never Yellow Death....

:lol:
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

gee now you can go to florida and speak the lingo.

differient but the same wave or wavey washers.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wave+washers
ronm

Post by ronm »

Maybe try TWO drops of blue Loctite if one tiny one isn't doing it? I've never really found Loctite to fail...
I realize that's too simple a solution for a machinist forum, but hey keep it simple, right?
JackF

Post by JackF »

Maybe make a right hand spindle and screw for righties and a left hand spindle and screw for lefties. :wink:

Jack.

P.S. I might have that backwards. :roll:
Last edited by JackF on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Next batch possibly make a quick detach handle that fits both sides,with a quick detach pin.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Thanks for the suggestions guys, some interesting ideas I never thought of.

@JackF - I thought of that but heard horror stories of guys forgetting and breaking the screw off in the hole twisting to hard or worse with pliers....way more work for me to repair after.

@mcostello - tell me more, I'd like to be able to visualize your concept of a quick-release but can't quite get how it would be made to fit the size in question. Which happens to be .625" dia screw.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Wouldn't a small O-ring work just as well? Chamfer the threads the screw goes in so that there would be a slight compression of the O-ring.

Richard W.