L M chuck

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mikechoochoo

L M chuck

Post by mikechoochoo »

I have a 6.5 inch three jaw chuck, the only markings except for the slot numbers are L M on the front and 95 6 97 on the back. I would like to find the maker, because the jaws are missing. Finding jaws for an unknown chuck is like the needle in the haystack.
Thanks,
Mike
dly31

Re: L M chuck

Post by dly31 »

I wish you luck but I have found that getting replacement jaws for most chucks is not practical. Some of the newer and more expensive chucks are exceptions. Three jaw chuck jaws are commonly fitted and serial numbered to the chuck.
Don Young
spro

Re: L M chuck

Post by spro »

Mikechoochoo. It would be better if you said it had "master jaws" and you only need top jaws to fit. Sometimes there is an inset on the face where an emblem was. If you can refer to a link for picture, we can see how it was constructed and eliminate some of that size. You don't say whether it is plain back or directly fitted. There are some variations in what is considered a 6" chuck. My older Polish one measures about 6.37 if irc . There should be more clues about it and Don has said about all that can be done at this point.