Wiring splices in older motor

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Wiring splices in older motor

Post by spro »

I have this particular motor from the 1940's from an M head and it had been modified a long time ago. It is single phase, capacitor start and had been modified to run on 120v. There were many reasons beyond the ossified 12 gage cord and damaged drum switch for me to investigate this. The bearing was near seized by the old grease and the centrifugal was stuck as well. Fortunately, it had not been powered up for a long time. The windings check out and appear fine. I have a reason for a dedicated high amperage 115v feed anyway but before closing up that end, I just had to check..
The three wire splices to arrange the fields for low voltage were bulbous and wrapped with that (some say "cloth") tape.
I sliced one open to insure the connection was soldered and not just twisted up. There was a sticky black substance surrounding the connection. This is probably the stuff of transformers and tells me whoever did this, went by the procedure of that time. It wasn't some cheap electrical tape which softens and unravels. I'll rewrap it equally well but I wonder about that substance and look at how it was made to last all these years. Those people had faith in a future.
hammermill

Re: Wiring splices in older motor

Post by hammermill »

the spice may have been made with the cloth tape and a product known locally as scotch kote. almost like a thick rubber cement. some times cambric tape will be seen coated with this product and then covered with cloth tape and more scotch kote

these cans had a capacity to turn upside down and run all over a tool bag or bins in the shoptruck. when do hv terminations you would get it everywhere by the time you finished .

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 451&rt=rud
f350ca

Post by f350ca »

I use a soft stretchy rubber tape, believe its known as Plymazone (sp). There's no adhesive on it, but there is a layer of cellophane between the wraps on the roll, it sort of sticks to itself after its stretched , but conforms to the wire joint to make a watertight seal. Over time it probably looks like a glob of material. That product has to be covered with cloth or electrical tape to protect it.
I've used it on the service wire connections between the house and shop stack, has to be cut off to open the joint.
We used it in the oilfield for downhole connections to caps on through tubing perforating guns where the joint was exposed to the wellbore fluids. I've had the joint to 5000 meters depth with 2000psi surface pressure and it didn't leak.

Greg
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

My dad was an electrician and back before wire nuts and vinyl tape they soldered and then wrapped with a soft rubber tape and then wrapped with an outer layer of cloth friction tape. The cloth tape kept things from poking through the soft rubber. The rubber was the primary insulator and gave moisture protection.
spro

Post by spro »

Yforou know I will take this in
I HAVE TOAL WIT NOW DE
This is whatqtion mfor
spro

Post by spro »

This is an example of corruption of a post.'t do do it Problem is I could figure it out. I didn
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Time to reboot your computer spro. If that doesn't fix it you may have a virus on your computer.
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

In the telco/cell industry it is known as "ucky-puck", a soft, self-adhering rubber tape that makes a water tight seal. It is then wrapped with cloth or vinyl tape for UV resistance. We buy it by the case, but you can buy the same stuff at HomeDepot as mastic rubber electrical tape. Used for insulating bulky connections/split bolts with an overwrap of vinyl tape to make a code compliant joint.
spro

Post by spro »

I cannot thank enough.
There was the lube to rear bearing. The bearing is large. This is equivalent to 1 + hp motor in todays' terms. The emblem is long gone. One could surmise after rewiring, it was in the atplant. Not to be seen again. The plant doesn't exist and the person who modified it so well, we see the work. It isn't wh d one
that an
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks for advise and information. I sort of botched the stream by local problems but if I am removed, it stands as good advise.
Yachtsman

Post by Yachtsman »

I found new products made by a company in Italy raytech.it, gels and gel filled boxes for all electrical connections, They work excellent on board to avoid corrosion and water penetration. Sealed the power plug of my trailer.
spro

Post by spro »

This is important, gel fill the box in some circumstances.