Mitigating a Machine Shop disaster.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

dgoddard

Mitigating a Machine Shop disaster.

Post by dgoddard » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:08 pm

I have this Tom Cat. he is ailing a bit possibly due to getting into Ethelyene Glycol put out by a neighbor who does not like cats. I suspect that because he appears to be having kidney problems and that is how Ethelyne Glycol kills. We have been giving him small amounts of wine because that is a specific antidote and it seems to work. However back to the machine shop.

The cat went down to the basement machine shop and happened to pick on my milling machine. He backed up to the front of my milling machine and sprayed more urine than I could have believed a cat his size could hold. He is rather large so it was a sizeable puddle. To make matters worse, the floor has a very slight grade downward towards the wall. This ensured that the offending liquid ran underneath the milling machine. My wife happened to discover this immediately and tossed baking soda on it and placed a fan to try to dry it up. It was mere minitues before the incredibly strong essence of tomcat was upstairs and I went to investigate. Given that there no air returns in the basement I was surprised it could distribute so quickly. Possibly because the duct outlets drove it up the stairs. I was also surprised (apalled?) When I arrived inthe shop for I had never smelled tom cat urine that was so pungent. (Probably an effect of his state of health) The next two hours (when I was planning on going to bed) were spent in immediate remediation.

The problem was how to deal with an incredible puddle of super tom cat urine covered by 2800 lbs of cast iron and steel (while enduring even being in the same room).

An immediate trip to the circuit breakers was the only way to accomplish a prompt interdiction of the furnace blower, because of all the fancy electronics that shut down the @#$&$%* blower thanks to all the fancy *&#$%& electronics that try to scavenge every last calorie by running the fan for an extra 10 minutes after the thermostat is turned down.

From when I installed the mill I have a box labeled "Mill Moving Tools" and from the garage I retrieved my 6 foot pry bar. It was necessary to raise the machine to get the mess out from under.

For the sake of expediting the process my wife assisted with insertion of sequentially larger shims to get the mill just an inch from the floor. Then multiple moppings with water and Trisodium phosphate solution which I was now able to slop under the machine, and using an air hose to blow it out to where it could be mopped up. Then cleaning the front and top of the sump with simple green got the matter under control (if you really like the aroma of simple green in a confined area).

After about the 4th mopping while trying to keep the air hose out of it or shoes from tracking it. Success seems to have been achieved. Then by placing an oscillating fan, the floor drying around and under the machine could be begun.

Moral: Keep an eye on the sick cat you allow in the warmth of the house on a cold night!

Caution, the use of sulfur based cutting oils may make your shop smell like a cat toilet to a cat's sensitive nose!

Bright side:
A. I am only slightly grouchy this morning due to reduced sleep.
B. I suppose it would have been harder to get that stuff out of the carpet upstairs, but did he have to aim at the machine?
I never met anybody that I couldn't learn something from.

Dave_C

Re: Mitigating a Machine Shop disaster.

Post by Dave_C » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:00 pm

Don,

I'm trying not to laugh but I'm losing the battle! :lol:

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:37 pm

This is what your neighbor was trying to prevent.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.

rustyh

Post by rustyh » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:49 pm

I have two cats that love sneaking into the shop to make nests in all the wood lathe shavings. They burrow down and go around enough times to cross the Serengeti. In the morning when I open the shop the cats vacate in a hurry to run into the forest to do their business. The dog follows me in, finds the nests, and pees on each one....at least it makes me shovel out the wheelbarrow loads of shavings.... :roll: the dog's urine will turn the wet maple shavings slightly purple...go figure... :lol:

I have had success with that enzyme stuff that gets rid of the cat urine smell when wild toms come a spraying.

redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:21 pm

We had cats spraying our front door for a while. My wife says that she used white vinegar to wash the door and front step. I have not seen any cat spray it since and more importantly haven't smelt it! There was a smell of vinegar for a while, but that didn't last long.

spro

Post by spro » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:57 pm

I find this post interesting on many levels. I have posted similar things and people don't exactly hate me for displaying one part. I can say that presence of cat, is a warning. Mice beware and other vermin go someplace else. A good cat is a wonder and when they go crazy with kidney damage, it is a quick thing for us. It is a long term thing, for them.
"Fire all of your guns at once, Go into space" The breakdown is sad with poison. They leave what they leave. To the end they hate rats and roaches.

dgoddard

Post by dgoddard » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:42 pm

That thing about giving the cat wine is something I came across. Supposedly the Ethylene Glycol damages the kidneys by precipitating crystals in the kidney that block it up and damage the tissue, (I am thinking that the crystals were supposed to be oxalic acid crystals. Whatever.) Supposedly the alcohol dissolves the crystals and clear the problem. It seems to work, although it is a bit difficult to get the cat to drink anything alcoholic. My wife uses any cheap 12-13% wine and puts it in the the at the corner of the cat's mouth with an eye dropper. It seems to work, at least they stop going around having difficulty walking and hunching their lower back.
I don't know if the cats would prefer beer but neither the wife or I drink that so we don't have it around to try.

dgoddard

Post by dgoddard » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:47 pm

rustyh wrote:I have two cats that love sneaking into the shop to make nests in all the wood lathe shavings..... .
Some time when the air is dry and static electricity is high. replace the wood shavings with loose styrofoam "peanuts" loose packing bits. Then keep the camera handy. The results will be hillarious enough to make the clean up worth the effort.

redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:12 pm

dgoddard wrote:
rustyh wrote:I have two cats that love sneaking into the shop to make nests in all the wood lathe shavings..... .
Some time when the air is dry and static electricity is high. replace the wood shavings with loose styrofoam "peanuts" loose packing bits. Then keep the camera handy. The results will be hillarious enough to make the clean up worth the effort.
If my wife still had cats I would DEFINATELY be inflicting the styrofoam peanuts on them! I can only imagine the ensuing hilarity!

spro

Post by spro » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:32 am

I thought this was about cats and urine scent. I don't see anything funny about Styrofoam and cats. Take one to the vet and have the belly cut after dislodging this stuff by other means. It was never worth that expenditure for an older cat and that one piece they ate isn't worth an.. it becomes it was worth something.
Cats just have to sample stuff. I don't know why they do it. Perhaps they are another parallel level. They are gifts and their time runs out. Domestic felines have a way about them. They scope out every part and remember where they are to address something.
My last cat was a dear grand ladycat of over 21 years age. She knew when someone came to the door, knew about disruption of the pattern of things. She could tell me. When they get older, the voice goes away and it bothered her very much. She would stand on her hind legs and put her paw on my arm, trying to tell me.
She was grand and she was cremated.

redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:31 am

The styrofoam peanuts is just a sidetrack spro. No physical damage to be caused by them by the packing peanuts, but it would be funny to watch them dance around and try and rid themselves of the pieces sticking to themselves via static electricity.

I can understand why animals drink antifreeze very sweet flavour. I had the unfortunate experience to have a frost plug let go while I was trying to reset it while the block was still under pressure. Luckily I had safety glasses on but my mouth was open, and I got a mouthful.

spro

Post by spro » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:26 am

I say that is more important than any cat. Sure yes and playful behaviors. Those cats. I could blame it on the cats. Rarely did and we went round and around about some issue. In the end, my little cat was on my lap. Gentle, Very gentle slow stroking and extremely careful around those ears. Those ears. You have to be fairly well adjusted to a cat, to clean ears.
Here I go again but fwiw: cats try to be clean. They are constantly grooming themselves with their rough tongue. They get into and around things which are not natural. It cannot be assimilated or digested.