Mitigating a Machine Shop disaster.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

SteveHGraham

Re: Mitigating a Machine Shop disaster.

Post by SteveHGraham » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:45 pm

I have parrots. As far as I can tell, they are utterly useless.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.

warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:50 pm

SteveHGraham wrote:I have parrots. As far as I can tell, they are utterly useless.
You mean you can't teach 'em how to fetch the newspaper?

:lol:
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:52 pm

They have other uses for it.

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:33 am

SteveHGraham wrote:I have parrots.
Macaws?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

ronm

Post by ronm » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:09 am

SteveHGraham wrote:I have parrots. As far as I can tell, they are utterly useless.
I share your opinion...my sister has (had) 2...one has since croaked. :roll:

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:10 am

Harold_V wrote:
SteveHGraham wrote:I have parrots.
Macaws?

Harold
African grey and cockatoo. Craziest animals God gave breath.
Attachments
marv071906longneck.jpg

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:21 pm

Cool! The gray is reputed to be amongst the best of "talkers", so watch your language in his/her proximity! :lol:

I've always enjoyed the Blue and Gold Macaw.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

mcostello

Post by mcostello » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:03 pm

Are they like kids- pick up on a bad word at the first utterance, while ignoring all others?

redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:51 am

I was thinking that they talk back and make a mess for you to clean up, like kids!

steamin10

Post by steamin10 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:32 pm

Everclear is the noted remedy that drives the kidneys to work harder. Caution is needed as they have a low tolerance for this systemic poison. Glycols have the same effect on humans damaging the renal organs to shutdown. There is a new medicinal available to vets, MK4 but it must be administered within 12 hours to be effective, otherwise survival is poor. treatment with ethanol is less effective because of its innate toxic effects.

I would have to have words with a person that does deliberate poisoning of a house animal, to institute a slow death. While difficult, the laws are clear both for control of an animal, and cruel removal.

The first issue is damage. Most people cannot come up with a damage claim, so they look stupid if pursued to court to explain their actions of removing a animal that urinates. Fox smell like skunk and mark their territory. I use vinegar, and diluted Clorox to destroy the smell. Ammonia is the base chemical you smell, so whatever knocks that out for you, Good luck.

I have cats (11) and have the piddle battle all the time. Some males are worse than others. All of mine are de-sexed.

I am a lover of animals, tis true, but a friends African Grey tried to sever a finger for me at our first meating, so I am not big on those birds.

Had a hawk grab a half sized kitten here, it returned with a head tilt from muscle damage on its neck. He did not live long, and became one of our lost souls to cat diseases. Right now, we have both a fox and coyote threat. Only one outside cat now.
Last edited by steamin10 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.

redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:41 pm

Do you use the same vinegar Clorox on the feline territorial markers? Does it work well? And what ratio of vinegar to bleach?

steamin10

Post by steamin10 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:55 pm

Not mixed together. But a bit of dawn diluted 10-1 or so with a blurp of vinegar or Clorox to kill the ammonia. (Careful measure you see?) Outsdie, you can get a challenge spot going for dogs and cats by marking a tree base yourself. It will tend to draw the others as a territorial marker. (Drove my Great Dane nuts for days trying to figure that one out!) :mrgreen:
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.