Metal slivers in your fingers

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: Metal slivers in your fingers

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Huh.....hear I am reading this....and I'm bleeding.....

(too late for the calipers.....)

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
spro

Post by spro »

This would often occur where I didn't have tweezers. I would get a piece of solid 12 gage wire 3" long and strip about 7/16" insulation from the ends. Bend it to a tight "U" and clip the ends with the same side of the wire clipper. With minor adj the jaws meet razor sharp.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

A needle is generally my tool of choice but I have wondered if a super magnet would pull ferrous slivers.
Don Young
spro

Post by spro »

Generally it couldn't but EMRI and other technologies have opened new doors to using magnetism. Probably there is a way for this situation where the permanent magnet head would come to a cone. I don't know the right metal for that or calculation to where it would come to that point for extracting a small object. Somebody does. It would probably require an active field around it to contain and focus the pm field.
On the other hand, because I don't know, there is reason for phase shifting the attraction. Alternately resonating and breaking the sliver bond and extracting it.
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

Finally..... a rationale for buying a microscope!

I have almost as many tweezers as drill bits....what's with that...and any metal slivers I get are like cactus needles...they go in easy but tear flesh when attempting to pull out...already dreaming of a microscope.. :wink:
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

dly31 wrote:?..but I have wondered if a super magnet would pull ferrous slivers.
I've had a couple MRI's and have been asked if I have had any metal in my body, jewelry, slivers, plates, pins, etc. My response has been, 'I'm a welder, it is very possible that I have a metal sliver, but none that I know of.' Then they tell me I can't have an MRI if there is any metal in my body, because the magnetic field could pull the sliver further into my body creating damage or infection. So I would say it is DEFINATELY possible but probably not economical.
martik777

Post by martik777 »

These work well:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20X-Magnifier-M ... 3a9580fe68

unscrew and remove outer lens to reduce power
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

I keep a Sliver Gripper on my keychain so I can pull a sliver wherever I get one. Surprisingly good little tool. :wink:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page ... 2567,10434

Pete
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I tried a half earthed attempt with a disk drive magnet. No success.
Magnetic field closes in a loop around the magnet trough the air.
The permeability (think of the inverse of resistance for electric) of air is very low and the flux is weak even with a strong magnet. To work well a magnet should be part of a magnetic circuit made of ferrous material shaped like a C (better that a horseshoe) with the gap oriented perpendicular to the sliver.

I like Spro idea to use an electromagnet and pulsate the magnetic force.

I am a bit ashamed to disclose this but I fashioned a fairly effective tweezers from the crimped joint on a crate banding.

I cut out the clasp that clamp the crate band, flush on one side leaving two reeds of spring steel one the other side.
Bent the two reeds and ground to a small end.

I will buy the Lee Valley tweezers, they look very practical and portable.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
spro

Post by spro »

Banding, near perfect. Another thing is they all can be filed or ground to a point. I would walk and my little tweezers would contact the grout between joints and leave no trace except forming a point.
It's not that it is new. Where I was at times, I cast an eye at the grout and see the marks of many work before my tweezer. I saw sharp edged tool marks of a blade in the rhythm of a walk, then a run. I saw too many marks . I never touched city grout or anyone's grout again ( except buying a structure where ...) Whole different phase.
spro

Post by spro »

Probably good but never better than fashioning your own by need at that time. The results of that speak.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Rather then spending long minutes/hours trying to grab the sliver with one of about 10 different tweezers, I just bite the bullet and dig out the scalpel and cut the skin which is over the sliver.
By squeezing the flesh, the sliver usually ejects itself, then a bit of antiseptic and back to work
You can buy blades sealed in foil, that fit an X-Acto handle.
I use # 11 blades which are long slender blades.

Rich