Metal slivers in your fingers

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Patio

Re: Metal slivers in your fingers

Post by Patio »

I also use my calipers. They are always handy or work really well, I think.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Mid Day Machining

Post by Mid Day Machining »

tornitore45 wrote:No matter how careful and clean I try to work I end up with to many tiny slivers in my fingers.
The type you just feel when you rub.

Like to hear your method to avoid them in the first place and to remove them if we must.
My way is really simple. I don't do any steel parts.
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Tweezerman brand pointy tweezers work well.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
OlderNewbie

Post by OlderNewbie »

Using 5mm latex gloves and using cheap (and I do mean cheap!) paint brushes for moving chips around largely prevent this, at least for me. When the paint brushes get too soaked with oil they hit the trash, but at 50 cents each or less it's hard to care much.

John
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

When I get out of the shop, I get warm water running and let it pour over my hands for a while. The idea is to loosen up whatever grease (including the kind I produce) may be holding splinters on my skin. If I can knock them off before applying soap and rubbing my hands together, I'm less likely to force them into my hide.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

OlderNewbie wrote:Using 5mm latex gloves
I'd like to think you wear them just for clean-up---never when operating machinery.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
OlderNewbie

Post by OlderNewbie »

Harold_V wrote:
I'd like to think you wear them just for clean-up---never when operating machinery.

Harold
Oh, my; I should have written 5 mil gloves, not 5mm gloves! If these catch on anything they just tear away, usually with so small a tug that I don't even notice at the time.

John
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

OlderNewbie wrote:
Harold_V wrote:

Harold
Oh, my; I should have written 5 mil gloves, not 5mm gloves! If these catch on anything they just tear away, usually with so small a tug that I don't even notice at the time.

John
I'm still concerned. One can not rely on the "tear away", as you can still get dragged in to a spinning spindle. On small, underpowered machinery, you may dodge a bullet, but with commercially rated equipment, it's very possible to be badly injured, even killed. Wearing gloves on moving equipment is never recommended.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

I use "splinter out" with a magnifying glass. Works very well when the caliper won't work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EtlZnvXYsVQ
LarryMck

Post by LarryMck »

When I get a get a small sliver that I can't see I will wash the dishes for my wife. I get some good brownie points and 9 times out of ten when I am done the sliver is gone. Once my hands are good and pruny I will wipe it accross the sliver and it usualy pulls it out.

Two birds one stone :D
SB Heavy 10 and Jet 14" Lathe, Bridgeport and Van Norman #12 Mill
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Another vote for duct tape. Might have to try it twice or 3x (if so, pull it off from the opposite direction) but it generally works.

Also... to help see the sliver (if you're digging it out with tweezers or a point), put a drop of tincture of iodine on it. The iodine will creep down into the wound channel and make better contrast. (This is really helpful with wood slivers.)

BTW, that "splinter out" thing is a blood-sampling lancet. Get 'em in the "diabetic supplies" section of the pharmacy. Those are VERY sharp indeed.
Pete in NJ
Lazz
Location: The Warm Arizona Deserts... Phoenix to be precise...

Post by Lazz »

For those stubborn invisible splinters you might try some wood glue. Smear a little on the general area let it dry. When you peal it off the splinter often comes out as well.