Dividing Plate Sizes

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Re: Dividing Plate Sizes

Post by ctwo »

ken572 wrote:Greeting's :!: Harold :D

Could you possibly post the complete Title,
ISBN # and name of the Author for us.
:?:

Thank You.. :D
Ken. :)
Unless Harold's book is a later reprint (from 1956), the ISBN number system was not yet invented.

http://www.isbn.org/ISBN_history
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
OlderNewbie

Post by OlderNewbie »

Harold_V wrote: <snip>
I used to do all of the calculations by hand. It helps keep one's math skills sharp. I now use a small calculator. Faster, and less likely to yield an error. I'm getting old and goofy.
Harold
I got a printing calculator for the shop because it was the only one without an auto-shutoff I could find and I got tired of writing things down so the number I needed wouldn't evaporate. It is amazingly convenient to bring the printed paper with the target dimension/whatever over to the lathe or mill, and I usually wind up using the slips to find an edge or something before throwing them out. It saves more in metal cost than it costs in paper, too, I'll admit. (I can do them all on paper, but...who wants to?)

John
ken572

Post by ken572 »

ctwo wrote:
ken572 wrote:Greeting's :!: Harold :D

Could you possibly post the complete Title,
ISBN # and name of the Author for us.
:?:

Thank You.. :D
Unless Harold's book is a later reprint (from 1956), the ISBN number system was not yet invented.

http://www.isbn.org/ISBN_history
ctwo
Thanks for catching that. :wink:
I guess even my brain farts sometime's. :oops: :lol: :lol:
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Russ Hanscom wrote:Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I have not looked up a trig function since I got a scientific calculator many years ago. I have a slide rule too but have not used it either for many years! I do have all of the handbooks with tables but there are easier ways.
Chuckle!
If you only knew what a monumental step is was for me to make the decision to buy that Haas, Russ! Had it not been for the immediate need, either of a pantograph, or the Hass, I most likely wouldn't have done so.

There's a bit of a (misguided?) message in that. If you've ever read the book A Christmas Carol, you may remember the lines spoken by Mr. Fezziwig, whereby he defends the upholding of one's old lifestyle and ways, it may help you understand. Not suggesting that you're not right, just that I am one who does not like change. I'm very comfortable in my manual and analog world, so I tend to resist doing things the "easy" way (like using a DRO).

Yeah, I know! I'm nuts. But I like me as I am.

Back to the Hass, yes, I'm happy it's mine. I marvel at the rapid and precise positioning, and the reliable feed rates, to say nothing of the capability to engrave, for which it was originally acquired. A definite improvement over my faltering skills. Time has taken a toll.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Torch

Post by Torch »

OlderNewbie wrote:It is amazingly convenient to bring the printed paper with the target dimension/whatever over to the lathe or mill, and I usually wind up using the slips to find an edge or something before throwing them out. It saves more in metal cost than it costs in paper, too, I'll admit. (I can do them all on paper, but...who wants to?)
I was biting my tongue, but my DRO has a built-in calculator with trig functions -- and I can transfer the result to any axis by pushing the respective button, so there's no lost paper or transcription errors. :lol:

(of course, it is still dependent on the operator entering the correct data, using the correct function and applying it to the correct axis.)
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Harold_V wrote:Yeah, I know! I'm nuts. But I like me as I am.
I like you as you am, too.

Steve
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

Russ Hanscom wrote:Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I have not looked up a trig function since I got a scientific calculator many years ago. I have a slide rule too but have not used it either for many years! I do have all of the handbooks with tables but there are easier ways.
Right on, Russ. Every shop should have a scientific calculator. With prices as low as a few dollars, there's no excuse for not having one on the bench. The days of trig tables are over.

Moreover, when computing a trig function, the next operation is usually to multiply it by something. Having it right there in the calculator ready to go eliminates the problem of transcription errors.

Also, many of these inexpensive scientific calculators will have the ability to work with fractions (e.g. 2 & 3/7), converting to and from decimal notation and doing arithmetic with them.

There are many other features of these calculators that are very helpful in the shop. If you want to try before you buy, there are numerous calculator simulators on the web.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Harold :D

I believe the book you speak of is for sale here,
plus some other similar books.

ILLINOIS TOOL WORK'S
TRIGONOMETRY TABLES
BOOK ILLINITE
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=I ... -Illinite-

One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

ebay, who would have thought?
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

mklotz wrote:Every shop should have a scientific calculator. With prices as low as a few dollars, there's no excuse for not having one on the bench.
I remember when I spent almost $100 on a TI scientific programmable calculator - and that was when you could buy a new car for $5,000 and college tuition was $2,200 per year.

I bought a TI solar scientific calculator about 20 years ago for $20 - went big and got the solar powered one and it's been working ever since. Sits right on the top of my machinist chest.

Steve
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

I have one I bought for $1 at the (wait for it) dollar store. I bought it just to be able to legitimately claim that they could be had that cheaply.

My preferred brand for shop use are the battery-less, solar-powered Casios. More than $1 but you can probably get several for a twenty.

RPN calculators are too complicated for machinists but the HP 35s is a real bargain and, being programmable, the ultimate shop calculator. It can be switched into (spit) algebraic mode for the Luddites.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ken572 wrote:Harold I believe the book you speak of is for sale here,
That may be the only option for the Illinois Tool Works booklet, as they have not responded to my inquiry. Makes me think they no longer publish the booklet, which was a handout.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.