Can Capped Jugs of Acid Cause Rust?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

JackF

Re: Can Capped Jugs of Acid Cause Rust?

Post by JackF »

Another interesting and very informative post. :) :)

Jack.
ronm

Post by ronm »

Yes, very interesting.
RSG

Post by RSG »

hman wrote:Acids like phosphoric are much less likely to diffuse through plastics because they have much lower vapor pressure. I'm pretty sure this is true of sulfuric acid, too. Sodium hydroxide (lye) has near zero vapor pressure.
LOL, I have a few gallons of every one of those acids stored right behind my lathe for the last 5 years with no ill effect to the equipment so I'd tend to agree with you on the vapour release topic.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
WJH

Post by WJH »

That explains the rust on my mill and lathe...
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Looks like some other people were helped by my sad experience.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
juiceclone

Post by juiceclone »

yeah...codes usually require controlled access in a locked indoor cabinet.....that said i keep mine in the open in a well ventilated area of my shop and have not seen a problem..the plastic jug it comes in does seem to be different than usual ?
spro

Post by spro »

Hey Steve. That was the point.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Steve, if you stop and think about it your many misfortunes and sad experiences have helped a whole lot of people on this board. :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol:

Jack.
lakeside53

Post by lakeside53 »

Mine's is stored outside. I've had bad problems in the past with it inside.

My understanding.. Muriatic acid is made many ways, but the cheap way is high pressure chlorine gas onto water. The Chlorine atoms will get out of almost any container, and aggressively attach to anything iron. Once "rusted" that way you will have one heck of job removing them - removing the rust chemically leaves the Cl behind... they will continue to cause rust.

I have a bunch of 1018 stock from a machine ship that was affected by chlorine. I make sure I machine the rusted area off.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

*blocking Jack*
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
WJH

Post by WJH »

lakeside53 wrote:Mine's is stored outside. I've had bad problems in the past with it inside.

My understanding.. Muriatic acid is made many ways, but the cheap way is high pressure chlorine gas onto water. The Chlorine atoms will get out of almost any container, and aggressively attach to anything iron. Once "rusted" that way you will have one heck of job removing them - removing the rust chemically leaves the Cl behind... they will continue to cause rust.

I have a bunch of 1018 stock from a machine ship that was affected by chlorine. I make sure I machine the rusted area off.
My mill, vice, lathe, and few other tools have a nice patina to them now in certain areas... But again, they were also stored in South Florida for 6 years... Guess it was the acid as well as high humidity being in the garage
juiceclone

Post by juiceclone »

I too live in S Florida, and I have to run a dehumidifier in the garage/shop EVERY night. If I don,t, the very next day everything is rusted...machines and hand tools as well. Muriatic is stored in the open, maybe 5 feet away, but I have seen no more rust near that spot. Didn't know there were different ways of making it, so maybe this container from Lowe's is different?