3 Phase Shop Power - To Make or Buy??

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

reggie_obe

Re: 3 Phase Shop Power - To Make or Buy??

Post by reggie_obe »

Before you pull the trigger, check with the utility to see if they are going to hit you with: minimum billing regardless of use; demand metering.

If you're not running any CNC's or sensitive electronics on the three phase, you can probably continue to run your shop without utility three phase. You've learned that you can just start another (unloaded) machine to add to your RPC capacity. No need to have a 25hp RPC running all the time for a 5hp load.
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

My present consumption with both my shop and home on the same meter satisfies their min. requirements, since I heat a my home with a head pump or electric heat when it really get too cold. My shop has a waste oil boiler but craps out frequently and I have to keep electric heaters on or dehumidifiyer going to keep machines from flash rusting (can't always get oil in all machined surfaces).
The cost per KwHr isn't that much but the extra $40/mo for "equipt. service fee" does give me some concern and I may end up going to as larger 3phase converter or maybe a smaller and a large one and be selective depending on the load. Both be started and feed the same 3 phase bus system, just as you suggest with the unloaded machine.

Along this line of thought, I have been think, rather than mess with start capacitor on several large rotary motors, I could put this small fractional hp 3 phase motor on the buss and equip it with appropriate start capacitor to "excite" the wild phase on the three phase buss. Should be enough to get either of the larger rotary converter motors rolling. Kind of a Pony motor for the wild leg, so to speak.

Just thinking out loud!!

Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Yep,, that works. My 5/10/15 had start circuit only on the 5HP. It could start the 10, then drop out if I desired.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper