Benefits of Moving from 4 x 6 Asian Band Saw to Big US Job?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Benefits of Moving from 4 x 6 Asian Band Saw to Big US Job?

Post by SteveHGraham »

If I move from a Chinese 4x6 band saw to a Kalamazoo 6x10, can I expect any benefits other than larger capacity and the fact that the saw is not a piece of junk? Will it cut faster?

My Northern Tool saw works, but the blades like to fall off, and it's just generally not a quality experience. I can't walk away and leave it running, because it's temperamental.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
WJH

Re: Benefits of Moving from 4 x 6 Asian Band Saw to Big US J

Post by WJH »

Since I fixed my 4x6, it's never ran smoother... Quality control is all over the gamut though... I never regretted spending more for a quality tool.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

On one occasion when my blade fell off, I had to take the motor completely apart and solder a new heat cutoff thing into the wiring. When the blade fell, everything bound up, and the motor overheated. Really annoying.

Some guy near me has a Kalamazoo 610D with two new blades, and he's asking $400.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Rate is more a function of blade, tooth pitch, and material. The same blade different saws, assuming all are equally up to the blade capabilities, will cut at about the same rate.

But if in good condition, the Kalamazoo is a much better saw. It should have hydraulic down feed, which is a HUGE improvement. Shedding teeth is the most common end to the life of a good blade, and happens all too often when cutting structural material (angle, tube, etc where selecting proper tooth count is problematic). Hydraulic down feed is much more consistent, so you blades will last longer. It also uses a longer blade, which means longer wear life, but still 1/2" max on that model, if I'm not mistaken. Whether it's worth the difference is up to you. I've got a Wells 58b, which is a comparable saw (in my opinion better in a few ways), and I like it very well. One point though, my 58b can go vertical as can the HF 4x6, I'm not sure the Kalamazoo will in stock form.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
J.Ramsey

Post by J.Ramsey »

The 610D is about one step better than a 4x6 import which is two steps better than a hacksaw,I owned one 1980-2005.
I bought a 7x12 Enco in 2005 and have never looked back.
Jtrain

Post by Jtrain »

I have a Chinese made 4x6 Northern Tool band saw and it worked great right out of the crate. The original blade was pretty low quality, and I have since used a Starrett and now I just replaced it with a Bahco (Snap On) and are both good quality $15 blades. Sorry I don't know how to help you with your Northern Tool band saw other than suggest alignment, adjustments. John
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

J.Ramsey, what was it about the Kalamazoo you didn't like?
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I found a manual at OWWM. Interesting. Much better than the Northern Tool manual. One thing I have always wondered about was how to set the downward pressure. The Kalamazoo manual has recommended amounts of pressure, and says to measure it with a fishing scale.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

What most people don't like, myself included, is that it's a weldment frame saw rather than a casting. But then so is my Wells saw. The problem is that the whole frame can get wracked, and then it's a red hot @#$% getting it back cutting straight. The 7x12 is a casting based saw with a more features, but a good bit more than $400 too. I can't speak for him, but those would be my observations.

Also, one of the best points on my Wells is the quick set vise. It has a dog ratchet, so you just lift it clear, slide it close to the piece, and spin a big wheel to synch it up. Of course after you do that on a number of different size pieces, you invariably wind up at the limit of the screw and have to crank it back.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
J.Ramsey

Post by J.Ramsey »

The entire saw is made of welded sheet metal stampings,the handle for the vise screw is a real knuckle buster, uses 4 expensive little pad type brushes instead of rotating wire wheel for blade brushes.
Back in about 2000 I had to replace the vice lead screw and tumble nut,found new old stock,lead screw was $ 105 the Brass nut was $130.I don't know if parts are still available but if they are expect expensive.
More blade selections in 3/4" and not much more cost especially compared to blade life.
Cutting anything more than say 2x2 solid plan on doing something else while waiting.
Mine was an early 60's vintage I bought from the local H.S vo/ag shop for $200 to replace a Carolina Tool brand POS saw .
I guess I shouldn't be to hard on the 610 as it served my needs fairly well for 25 years as well as the schools but it not near the saw the 7x12 is.
Last edited by J.Ramsey on Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Controlling the feed rate in a reliable manner is critical, but if you hope to see improved performance with a horizontal saw, don't buy one that runs a ½" blade. Makes little difference who makes them, none of them, including my Wells A7, are capable of making straight cuts in large material. The blade is simply too flimsy to do so.

Note that blades above the ½" size don't just get wider--they gain thickness, too. The larger the blade, the greater the stability.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It never occurred to me to worry about cutting straight. I figured anything I cut on it would be machined later.

It sounds like this thing is a good deal at $300 or less, but not the answer to my prayers.

I'm kind of surprised at the stuff I've been reading. People hate just about every US brand.

I would be pretty excited if I could just count on the Chinese one to keep running. I found some info from a guy on a forum which may help me keep the blade from falling off.