Atlas bearings

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Re: Atlas bearings

Post by SteveM »

earlgo wrote:SteveM: There is no way that my Atlas could do what is pictured in your post.
Yours and mine are likely identical or almost (Mine is model 101.27440. What's yours?), so we just need to figure out where the issues are.

What speed are you running? I'm in back gear and one of the slower backgear speeds.

I'm feeding by hand because the power feed is too fast. As I feed, you can definitely find that there is a sweet spot where it likes to be.

Steve
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

SteveM: This is the Atlas Model 3983 that we are discussing. Yours has a Sears model number if I am not mistaken.

I am probably running it way too fast at about 600rpm in 6061Txx, and I rarely use the power cross feed for anything for the speed reason. With the slow change gears it is not time effective to adjust the cross feed to a useable rate.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
ronm

Post by ronm »

Does it have 1/2" bedways? Looks basically like my 101.28990, other than the quick-change box & cross-feed lever.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Rails are 1/2 x 1-1/2 in.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

earlgo wrote:SteveM: This is the Atlas Model 3983 that we are discussing. Yours has a Sears model number if I am not mistaken.
Yes, mine has a Sears model number, but the 101 in the model number means Atlas Press.

Yours is actually the better model. Sears used to call that the "commercial" model. The ways on that one are 1/2"; mine are only 3/8", so yours is actually MORE rigid than mine.

Many other parts on that model were more stout than on the earlier model.

You can actually get replacement parts for that thru Sears. You would look it up under model 101.28910.

Here's some info on it:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page3.html

Attached is a picture of what it looks like with Craftsman badges.

Steve
Attachments
img35.jpg
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

SteveM:
Thanks for the page link.
I am thinking that there is something that I have overlooked in tightening up the details. For the most part it works ok but when it is pushed is when the chattering is annoying. Occasionally I will just let it chatter away in hopes something will loosen up enough to be obvious, but so far nothing seems to have changed.

There is a bit of slop in the crossfeed screw although the nut has been replaced in the last year. I have found a shop that will make a new screw at a reasonable price, but haven't been able to redirect financing.

I will be more careful with tool sharpening and position, maybe the fault is in the nut behind the wheel, as the saying goes.

--earlgo
ronm

Post by ronm »

Truthfully, Earl, it's kind of a fact of life with these lathes that you have to chase chatter problems...a couple things I have found that help-one, carbide tooling with no rake is just not hardly worth trying-HSS properly ground is what the lathe likes a lot better. Discussions with Harold & others here kinda showed me the light on that...
You say it chatters when you push it...not to be a wiseguy, but "Don't push it"!...Patience, it's not a hogging machine.
The gibs on the cross feed & compound were originally plastic on my lathe, it helped a bunch when I made new ones out of brass-did that back in the day before I had a mill-made them the old-fashioned way from 1/8" brass sheet...hacksaw & file.
Another trick that seems to help is to back the compound up so that it's not hanging over the bottom ways.
The pic Steve posted is pretty much my exact machine, except mine has the "Craftsman Commercial" badge on the headstock...
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

This one has steel gibs in both crossfeed and compound, and I have tried to be careful in their adjustment.
I have tried to run it with the compound run against the front stop, but maybe against the rear stop is a better choice. Let me try that.
I'll take your suggestion about the HSS tools instead of the no-rake brazed carbide. Thanks.

I should check the carriage shims again for vertical play just to verify what is what.

--earlgo
ken572

Post by ken572 »

earlgo, :D

These might be useful to you as
reference books for tuning and
tightening your lathe. :wink:

Here is some more good read info on (Scraping and Flaking)
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 44&t=88363
-
Machine Tool Way Rebuilding
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 44&t=88352
-
High-Speed Tool Steels GREAT INFO!
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 44&t=97391
-
These are REALLY COMPLETE and Phenomenal.
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 44&t=97066
-
Machinery Repair Related. (Very Cool and Interesting)
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 44&t=98459
-
More Books For Your Home Machine Shop Library
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 44&t=98313
-
TWO Very Cool Reference Books For Your Shop.
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 4&t=100860
-
Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

earlgo wrote:I have tried to run it with the compound run against the front stop, but maybe against the rear stop is a better choice. Let me try that.
While my Graziano isn't troubled (excessively) by chatter, I keep my compound locked down (by tightening the gib), which helps in more than one way, as any creep of the compound renders dial settings worthless. That would be true of the use of a DRO as well.

Keeping your compound against the back stop may prevent you from being able to face to center. To help with rigidity, you might explore running with the compound locked (by tightening the gib), when it is fully engaged with the bottom slide, front edges aligned. That way you'll have maximum support.
I'll take your suggestion about the HSS tools instead of the no-rake brazed carbide. Thanks.
Unless you have an issue with a given material (abrasive, fiber glass as an example) or hard (chilled gray iron as an example), I fully expect that you don't benefit from the use of carbide. Properly applied HSS will outwork carbide on fractional horse power machines, where there tends to be a lack of rigidity and power to benefit from carbide.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Thanks fellows.
I'll check out your suggestions and let you (collectively) know what happens.

--earlgo
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Ok, so I readjusted the gibs in the crossfeed and compound and found a place where there was more slop than necessary. The Atlas cross feed screw has an adjustment for longitudinal clearance, and when I put this together last year, I failed to adjust this properly so that there was more slop there than was necessary.

Then I put all the brazed carbide cutters in the inventory pile and got out the HSS bits, touched up a few and tried it out on a chunk of 7/8 dia. Ace hardware magnetic mystery metal.

It could be cut at 680 rpm, .008 feed rate and .030 deep cut with no outboard support and no chattering. material was out 2" beyond the chuck jaws (2.2 D).

I think there is an improvement.

Thanks again for the inspiration.

--earlgo