Will Rubber Drawer Liners Rust Steel Tools?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ronm

Re: Will Rubber Drawer Liners Rust Steel Tools?

Post by ronm »

I use cardboard from John Deere gasket packages in the drawers on the service truck. Big gaskets come on a flat piece of cardboard as big as 2 ft. square w/ little JD logos all over it...looks cool, & costs zip...when they get grody-looking I change them out for new.
I took a pic of my wrench drawer, but gave up trying to resize it to a point that this site will accept... :x
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Charles Spencer wrote:I had rubber drawer liners in one of my tool boxes that I bought used but I never really liked them. I removed them, cleaned up the bottoms of the drawers, and lightly oiled them.

Just about the only cutting tools I keep in a tool box are files. I put cardboard on the bottom of my file drawer ($0.00) and the files themselves in old cardboard paper towel tubes ($0.00).

Charles
Hello :!: Charles Spencer :D

Welcome to The Home Machinist! 8)

I like your ($0.00) way of thinking..
Spare, Cleaned, Organized, Boxed, and Managed
Components, and Scrap Materials can be very
helpful, and are worth every inch of sensible
storage space used, for repairs and or out of the
box inventing, and Prototyping Etc.
JMHO. Ken. :wink:

As you have found out, we have members
that really enjoy helping each other, and
sharing there skill’s and or knowledge,as
well as there project’s, idea’s, and more.

In order for this to happen smoothly there
are a few things that are NEEDED:

1)Correct brand names of what ever
you are asking and/or talking about.

2)Correct Serial numbers, Model No,
Date, and or Country of Manufacturer,
Size’s, Colors, Clear Picture’s of the item,
and or it’s data plates, and anything else
you can supply for the members to work
with.

3)Do you already have, or need
Operator and Parts, Manual’s :?:

4) Making sure that you put your
WORLDLY LOCATION in your
PROFILE so it show’s up to the left
of all of your POST’S under your name.
VERY HELPFUL, to member’s trying
to assist you.

5) It is always nice to THANK the members
that spend time HELPING YOU and when
your problem is solved, it’s nice to UPDATE
and share your FIX / REMEDY to help the
next member, to read and learn from.

NOTE: CLEAR PICTURE’S
(ARE ALWAYS)
VERY HELPFUL.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

In the past I've used rubber (not foam) floor runner that was about 1/8" thick.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

My wife bought me a Craftsman 2 shelf too cart a while back. Nice, but no liners.
I bought a Treadmill mat at Walmart. 36" x 78", neoprene thing about 1/4" thick. 3' x 6' give or take. Was a heap of 'em on sale for 15 bucks a piece.

Not bad at all. It's foam in the middle, but closed cell, and doesn't absorb anything. Had Toyota engine parts piled up in it a couple times....no problems...among many other oily greasy things tossed in it during repairs. I think it was a 'Gold's Gym' label on it.

I went back to buy another one or two.....and they have no more.
Reminds me....I'll have to look again.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I was enthused when I saw that stippley rubber mesh and got a roll. Its junk. Very poor for what I wanted. Instead I turned to using that ribbed rubber runner they use in stores. Cut to drawer size, it does not slip, holds tools in place, even when crashing drawers around like a mix master. It is getting harder to find, last batch from Ace Hardware, at a salty price, but it works.

I have a wiping shop cloth in the top of the box, that all tools, pliers, wrenches, holders, etc. get wiped with when they return to the drawer for layout. This cloth has a teaspoon of oil in it, and provides just enough film, for my needs. My side cutters and pliers work without the rust that used to plague me in the acid plant, and many are damaged plating, discolored by the exposure. But for the most part, they are simply used tools that function.

I think the runner is the same fine ribbed stuff rvrnd is referring to.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

steamin10 wrote:I have a wiping shop cloth in the top of the box, that all tools, pliers, wrenches, holders, etc. get wiped with when they return to the drawer for layout. This cloth has a teaspoon of oil in it, and provides just enough film, for my needs.
I do just the same and have for decades, it works. Started in AL where humidity and temp swings were the enemy. Now in the desert SW, not so much, but my tools stay clean and ready for use. Some are well over 30 years old and well used (including near 10 years of full and part-time professional use), but look as good as new. The only tools I have showing any sort of rust evidence or even discoloration are tools that came to me that way. People make fun of me for it, and always have, but every tool that comes out, even if still looking pristine and clean, get wiped down when putting away.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

how's oiled wood in these cases?
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

steamin10 wrote:
I think the runner is the same fine ribbed stuff rvrnd is referring to.
The stuff I had used had a 1/8" rib maybe every 5/16". I've tried to find a pic of it online to no avail. All I did find was the thick (3/8") industrial foam we used along the assembly lines.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Nope, not it. My stuff is black rubber floor runner, very thin. No backing, about 30 inches wide. It was easier to find before vinyl runners became popular.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Cross post to never enough time: I just bought at mantards a ten foot piece of vinyl runner (not rubber) that I bought before, on the big stores runner rack in the flooring department. $2.08 a foot, ribbed with a thin section; Thats what I was talking about! In searching for tool boxes, I am dis- heartened at the prices, that I cannot meet in my desires for excellence I will have to settle for really good, and maybe re- do the slides on Crapsman boxes, with roller drawer slides. I dunno. My query to a Snapon guy turned up a good deal, I guess. $1400 for a $2200 box. Not in my universe thanks.

But I found more of what works for me. Trying to share, Big D
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Steve, :D

More Choice's 8)
- - - - - -
Dong Rubber
http://www.dongrubber.com/products/ribb ... er-matting
-
Rubber Cal
http://www.rubbercal.com/rubber-floorin ... -mats.html
-
Rubber Selection
http://www.rubberselection.com/home/4587868824
-
Rubber Sheet Roll
http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/
-
Duck 1100731 Non-Adhesive Select Easy Shelf Liner, Jumbo Roll, 12-Inch Wide, 20-Square-Feet, Taupe: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen
- - - - - -
Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
gogreen2023

Post by gogreen2023 »

check they have different types of rubber sheets - https://rubbersheetindia.co.in/
Joy, :)
Rubber technologist
www.rubbersheetindia.co.in