Feeling stupid and my D1-5 equipped Grizzly G4003G

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

rustyh

Feeling stupid and my D1-5 equipped Grizzly G4003G

Post by rustyh »

Oh man, bought the lathe new almost 2 years ago, never removed the 3 jaw until yesterday. Dragged the 4 jaw off the self where I put it the day the lathe arrived (along with the faceplate) and low and behold turns out they are both D1-4's. I inspected them the day they arrived but my chuck knowledge at the time didn't alert me to anything unusual...."Yep, looks like a 4 jaw chuck and a faceplate to me." I never considered the mount not being right

I had no reason to use the 4 jaw until yesterday. Took the chuck out of the box and removed the goop from the mating surfaces and mounted the posts...all three of them...thinking that's weird, checked the faceplate, and yes, sure enough, it had three posts as well, must be how it mounts.....wrong :shock: The real clue was the diameter of the tapered centre piece surrounding the spindle bore.

E-mailed Grizzly and got the "warranty over" reply, but a suggestion to get hold of the "tech" department and they'll work with me to resolve.

So any others (I can't be the only one....can I? :roll: ) blissfully ignorant of the chuck mounts and the equal problem of a workman in China placing the wrong accessories in the crate (you think he/she knew?), make sure the chuck fits BEFORE you need it, NOT...like...me :oops: :? :cry:
Jawn

Re: Feeling stupid and my D1-5 equipped Grizzly G4003G

Post by Jawn »

Ouch.

Not nearly that bad, but my G0602 had a 4-jaw chuck with severe runout. I simply removed the chuck from the backplate and trued up the backplate before reinstalling the chuck.

Good luck getting yours straightened out.
Rolland

Post by Rolland »

I have the G4003 and the four jaw that came with it weights at least 35-40 pounds so I went with a smaller chuck most of the time. I had to re-adjust the mount when I first fit up the 4 jaw on mine. I might mention that lifting the chuck on and off I use a 1x12 pine board about a foot or so long and lay it on the bed to set the chuck on to keep from dinging the bed prior to mounting it. My three jaw fit perfect but the 4 jaw need some work to get it to fit
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

FWIW - same runout issue with my Enco 12x36. The supplied 4 jaw was so far out their tech guy sent me a direct mount. I kept fiddling with the supplied 6 inch 3 jaw + back plate but I lack grinding capability right now, and the farther you got from the jaws the worse it got. Bought a nice Interstate direct mount D1-4 and it's .002 TIR, so the other chuck is a mill part now and the back plate got tossed under the lathe.
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
jmanatee

Post by jmanatee »

Is it possible that you could get just the backing plate for d1-5 that fits the chuck? a backing plate would not be that much.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

I guess I was lucky and must have gotten the smart packager. All my goodies were right for my G4003G. Hopefully Grizzly will exchange them, but that still means a dangerous trip back to the store where you might be tempted to buy more. :wink:

Pete
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

Hi Pete,

The problem I have is just how dumb I was not taking the 3 jaw off originally and trying the faceplate and the 4 jaw...it just didn't occur to me... I figure it'll take a trip to Bellingham to sort out. It would be a good bike (KLR) trip if I could figure out a way to secure the plate and chuck, preferably low..... :wink:

I see the D1-5 4-jaw cheapo is $194 US, probably the least aggravation, but I couldn't find a D1-5 faceplate on a quick cruise through the Griz catalog. I'll start an internet search to see where this can go.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Not trying to make anyone feel bad, but you should always check, test, run, fit, clean etc any new pieces of equipment or tools to see if you have what you are supposed to have. When I bought my G4003G, I did not get all the accessories that were listed in the catalog. I live close to the Grizzly Warehouse so I just went to the showroom and they gave me all the missing parts.

Not getting all the pieces or the correct pieces is all to common these days as cheap labor does the packing and shipping!

It is on us to make sure we get what we pay for!

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
pete

Post by pete »

Probably that's a hard learned lesson we all have to figure out sooner or later Rusty. You got off real light compared to me, so I wouldn't feel too bad. I posted my rip off story on the 3 n 1 forum about a lathe/mill I bought and never got to test what I had until too late. Right now it's the second thread down from the top in the thread about Grizzly 3 n 1 machines. Today I check almost everything as soon as possible.

Pete
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

rusty--

I have found Grizzly to be very good at fixing their screwups whether they be in or out of warranty.

Let us know what happens.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I shopped around for a D-1-5 back plate to fit an old Bernard chuck. Grizzly doesn't carry much in the way of back plates, but you can find all sorts of back plates to fit your chuck on most chuck manufacturer web sites. It will take a bit of digging, but they are out there if you concentrate your search on chucks or maybe even d-1-5 back plates. BTW, for some reason D-1-5 seems to be a rather scarce commodity for some reason- but they do exist.

I ended up buying a new 8" four jaw bison, mostly out of frustration with my other old worn out three jaws. Now, happy as a clam in a bucket of sand.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
rustyh

Post by rustyh »

I'm going to see about purchasing a higher quality 4 jaw.

I delivered the job back and apologized to the customer, explaining my problem. The time involved (always a rush job, right?) giving him some other people I know that do good work. He has his piece back from one of those people and I have received thanks from both parties, everyone is happy!! Now I can relax and do a thorough search over time, and get back to riding and upgrading my 2008 KLR. My better half is in England staying with family for the summer, big get-together in August, so we have closed the shop and gallery so I can have a holiday as well..... :mrgreen: