OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RSG

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by RSG »

seal killer wrote:Since the creek is mostly from a huge spring (the name of it is Spring Creek), it is always cold.
.....and probably full of trout! :wink:

You have such a beautiful property Bill! Lucky guy!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I'm moving to a big property, and I'm envious,too. I'll have Egg McMuffins, BBQ, and Tractor Supply within a 5-minute drive, though, so I don't feel too bad. I have to have those McMuffins. Or as they call them here in Miami, "A. Macmoofings."
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

RSG and SteveHGraham--

RSG, yes, it is full of trout! There is a trout hatchery/resort only one and a half miles upstream. (Several miles by road.) So the stream stays full of trout. They are beautiful and easy to spot. My Afrikaner friend and his son own 160 acres west of me and they climb/hike down to the creek and catch and release them. It is so easy to catch them that it takes most of the fun out of it after twenty or so in 45 minutes.

Steve, I am eager to see details of your new acquisition. I hope you start posting stuff soon.

--BIll
You are what you write.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The move is Saturday! I expect to be about 75% ready for it, but I'm all alone on this, so I can't do any better. Got a rigger coming tomorrow. The big question: what costs more to move 300 miles? Household goods or four machines? The mover is going to get almost $6K.
RSG

Post by RSG »

seal killer wrote:It is so easy to catch them that it takes most of the fun out of it after twenty or so in 45 minutes.
Please stop Bill, you're killing me!!!!
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Steve--

I'm guessing the four machines will cost the most to move.

--Bill
You are what you write.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Pictures Steve Pictures !
www.chaski.com
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I don't even know when the machines will be moved, so don't hold your breath for pictures. Hopefully by September 1.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Steve--

We want to know about the property!

--Bill
You are what you write.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I can't recall how much of the story I have told, so I will go back over it.

This house will actually belong to my dad. He flipped out when I started looking at houses in northern Florida. He didn't want me to leave the Miami area without him. We made a deal. He's buying the place, and we will share it.

We tried to buy a small farm, but the sellers had their heads in the clouds, so we ended up with a 34-acre place which is about 2/3 woods. It has a detached garage which is about 1000 square feet. I suppose this is a "small farm" by some people's standards, but properties near Ocala are getting smaller, and this is actually pretty big for 2017. I'd love to have a hundred acres or more, farther north, but we will still have business in South Florida for a while, and northern Florida should be a great place for my dad. Lots of gerontologists and so on, and if he ever needs it, plenty of ALF's. I am hoping I will be able to look after him on his own property.

Anyway, that's it. Secluded, but reasonably close to stores. It has a big dirt pile in the pasture, so I have a shooting backstop. Should be a great relief. Miami is a horror.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Sounds incredible.
May your move go smoothly, and photos appear here soon.
~RN
RSG

Post by RSG »

Speaking of moving machines, My shorts would be in a bunch moving machines into that remote are of Bills with that so called "road" he's got! You have a plan for that yet Bill?