OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by seal killer »

neanderman--

The New Madrid fault is a serious, serious thing, for sure. I read that it once made the Mississippi river flow backward. No structure built by man can withstand an earthquake under the worse circumstances.

Of course, the New Madrid is just an insignificant event--kind of a side show--compared to the Yellowstone Super Volcano. But, I worry about the New Madrid more. It's not because I am closer to it (we are way out in the SW corner of Missouri in the yellow zone). It's because I can almost comprehend the NM, but the Yellowstone Super Volcano is simply beyond my limited powers of comprehension . . . so I don't concern myself with it. This gives me much more time to spend thinking about the 300 foot high, 15 mile long ridge system I'm on suddenly being below the level of the surrounding rivers because the fault slipped.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

Bill, no sense worrying about things you can't control.

Jerry - in Central Florida (hurricanes)
www.chaski.com
TomB

Post by TomB »

After spending years watching news stories of houses being destroyed by tornadoes, hurricanes, forest and household fires, earthquakes and avalanches I've often wondered why we do not have a house design that is based upon a central safe room. Most of the cost of building a house seems to be in kitchen, bath and utility room so why not make a poured concrete safe room that had the kitchen at one end and the bath and utilities at the other end. The safe room could then be surrounded by the normal studded walls and shingled roof that enclosed bedrooms, living and dining rooms and added baths. After a disaster one would just come in with big excavator (with thumb) and load the wood parts and bulk furnishings into dumpsters, then rebuild. Just speculating.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Tom--

I've been thinking about THE house for decades. I began my thinking with the idea of a completely underground dwelling. I visited a few. They were pretty much depressing as full-time homes. Humidity control was poor, as well.

Technology has changed since then. Today one COULD build a completely underground home and use big screen TVs for windows. ERV systems easily handle the humidity problem.

Later in life--but while I was still working--we bought some land in Colorado, in the Wet Mountain range looking across the Wet Mountain Valley at the Sangre de Cristos. It is said that is the only place on Planet Earth with 13k+ peaks from horizon to horizon. The view was beyond magnificent. (Note that those last two words link to different pictures, both of which I took from the property.)

In the planned Colorado house, I wanted to dig in at the top of the ridge and have an exposed, flat concrete roof about two feet above grade. The home would have been all glass on both levels of the west side to take advantage of the aforementioned view. The deck would have been on the roof and access to the home would have been from the eastern side of the sharp ridge.

All we ever did on the property was vacation trips to my sister's cabin in Rosita (BIG gold mining town; today it has a population of about 3, I think) and excursions to the property a few miles away. I did build a road to the top. Eventually, some nice German people that I never met came over here on vacation and asked my realtor if the land was for sale. They didn't speak English. He knew a German lady that waited tables in Silver Cliff. She translated. The upshot was they wanted the property twice as much as what we paid for it. Too good to pass up. Still, we were sorry to see it go.

That turned out well in more ways than financial: Many years later, our grandchildren arrived in KC. Too far from KC to Custer County, Colorado.

So, retirement for me (now 10 years ago). I got really serious two years ago about where we would retire. I found the spot in the Ozarks of which you've seen pictures. Ironically, the spot I found was not only the very first place that jumped up in my Google search, but it is six miles from my Dad's place (little brother lives there now). I went to junior high and high school in the town, about 25 miles away.

I have long believed that location determines design. So, once again, the side facing the view is all glass. However, I abandoned the idea of a flat, concrete roof. The home has three bedrooms and four baths. Two of the bedrooms are master suites. Each is large: 27' x 23'. My builder was more than uncomfortable about supporting a concrete roof over those dimensions without internal bracing. I certainly did not want poles in the middle of the bedrooms. I could have opted for a lot of steel beams to support the concrete. I think. There's no problem here that money won't solve and I was already pushing the budget.

I opted for a metal roof. That is my one major compromise. (However, the good news is that the upper level will have vaulted ceilings.) I offset that by including the 15' x 18' all concrete man cave. I mean safe room.

A word about ICF (Insulated Concrete Form) homes: They are tight. In a wood frame home, air exchange rates may push 1:1. (The air inside is replaced by air outside every hour.) I think an air exchange rate of 1:2 or so, can be achieved. In an ICF home the air exchange rate is like 1:20 if things are done correctly. To control the humidity, we are using an ERV (Energy Recovery Ventilation) system.

I just got off the phone with the builder. He predicts that in two weeks he will start pouring the upper level (ground level) walls. Good news.

--Bill
You are what you write.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Nor only did the Mississippi run backwards, the few people who were there to winesses the quake said the surface of the land was visibly rippling.

But I'm with you on the Yellowstone volcano -- that's a global threat; it could block out the sun for years.

Nature is a wondrous thing until it decides you are superfluous.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

neanderman wrote:But I'm with you on the Yellowstone volcano -- that's a global threat; it could block out the sun for years.
In driving through Idaho, one has to wonder where all the lava rock came from. There's no volcanos anywhere near. Then the Yellowstone volcano comes to mind.

I expect that if the Yellowstone super volcano were to erupt, the planet would experience something akin to that experienced with the assumed meteor strike that resulted in the demise of the dinosaurs.

How am I to sleep with this hanging over my head? :lol:

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold--

Hunker down!

--seal killer
You are what you write.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Harold_V wrote:
neanderman wrote:But I'm with you on the Yellowstone volcano -- that's a global threat; it could block out the sun for years.
In driving through Idaho, one has to wonder where all the lava rock came from. There's no volcanos anywhere near. Then the Yellowstone volcano comes to mind.

I expect that if the Yellowstone super volcano were to erupt, the planet would experience something akin to that experienced with the assumed meteor strike that resulted in the demise of the dinosaurs.

How am I to sleep with this hanging over my head? :lol:

Harold
Just another reason we build steam locomotives!
~RN
JackF

Post by JackF »

Hey guys, why didn't you tell me about this Yellowstone super volcano before we moved to Idaho? :shock: :wink: :lol:

Jack. :mrgreen:
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Jack--

I've never been there, but I bet Idaho is a beautiful place.

Unfortunately, it appears you may be in the pyroclastic zone. Not good.

Zone 1 is called the 'pyroclastic zone'. Surges of scorching hot gas and ash (over 400 centigrade) exceeding the speed of sound would spill from the side of the volano and could extend up to 100 kilometres out. It is not survivable.

Last sentence emphasis is mine. But, you get the point.

If you have sufficient warning, you will be welcome at our place high on the ridge. (At least, we are right now, anyway.)

We are in Zone 6. When you come, your machining skills--and equipment; don't forget that!--will be needed. I'll have a propane fired 200 amp supply ready and waiting for you. Still, even Zone 6 will suffer . . .

Minor damage to buildings in Zone 6 will occur as ash enters, soils interiors and blocks air conditioning filters. Electricity may be cut as wet ash causes shorting at sub-stations. This would cause water supplies to be cut. Roads would need to be cleared to prevent ash from blocking storm-water systems. Crop damage is possible and livestock may be affected by lack of feed and contamination of water supplies. Damage to electrical equipment and machinery is likely.

--Bill
You are what you write.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Thanks Bill, you have just given me sufficient warning. :mrgreen: I figure it will take about 2 weeks to close things down here and 3 days to get to your place. It is so very kind of you to put us up. :wink:

Jack.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Today one COULD build a completely underground home and use big screen TVs for windows.
Why would you install a TV just to see dirt?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.