OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pete

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by pete »

Moving shop equipment isn't that tough in the sizes your dealing with Bill. The whole secret when your not used to moving equipment is taking your time and planning things out to the smallest detail. If it doesn't seem quite right to you, then make it so until your 100% satisfied that it is. And nothing ever got damaged in transit with one tie down strap too many. Trying to go cheap and doing it fast is where almost any problems start. Taking 1 - 24 hrs longer than planned with zero failures is the only thing that's important.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Pete--

There will be plenty of tie down straps, for sure. I'll also screw lumber around the pallets to the deck of my trailer to prevent them from shifting.

I'll be back here for all the advice I can get when I see exactly how the equipment has been palatalized. I have seen enough of it to know the custom built pallets are heavy duty.

--Bill
You are what you write.
pete

Post by pete »

I'll assume your separating your lathe from it's stand Bill? If so I'd lag bolt a couple of wooden 4" x 4"s to the mounting feet of your lathe running opposite to the bed length and at least as long as the chip pan is for width. I'm sure you know they love to roll over since those mounting feet are so much narrower than the machine is. Anything you can do to extend it's foot print will help a lot. Plus there a handy lift point with straps. At least with your tractor unloading should be fairly easy. Many use that lifting eye on a mills ram to lift the whole machine. Maybe your mill is safe enough to do so, unless it isn't. One hidden flaw in the casting would make for a real bad day. I always lift them from the bottom of the main casting the column bolts to. Again a couple of 4" x 4"s lagged down through the bolt holes and under the base would make it a lot easier to load and unload. I've seen more than enough rigging break, if your using any off shore non industrial rated rigging then if it were me I'd cut it's stated safe load limit in half just to be sure. And straps are way too easy to cut on edges you wouldn't think could do so. Pieces of cardboard, old carpet etc under the straps softens the edges enough to protect them. It's also protects the machines surfaces from chafing under the straps while it's being transported. My mill came with the head rotated upside down and the end of the motor sitting on a wooden block on the table. The knee was moved up to take the weight and then the knee locks applied. That drops the center of gravity as low as possible. If your not disassembling the mill it's about the safest method in my opinion.Any dro's on the equipment I'd probably remove the displays and scales, there way too easy to damage while moving the equipment and it doesn't take long to remount and indicate it back in. About 20 years ago I had to move my whole shop a 17 hr drive one way and then back in less than a year. Packing all the tooling like it was fine china instead of metal was more than worth all the time it took. The one piece I didn't pack correctly that did get damaged still pisses me off. :-)
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

pete--

Thank you for the detailed guidance. I'm glad it's in this thread . . . I won't have to remember where to look for it.

The mill's table is lowered all the way and the head is rotated 90*. The mill is now configured for as low a center of gravity as possible. Plus, like the lathe (and saws), the mill is on a pallet made from 4x4s by people who crate for a living. All of the equipment has been stored--since I moved it out of the house--in their temperature and humidity controlled environment, as well.

It is all shrink wrapped, too. However, I may tarp it depending on the weather when I make the move.

First, back to painting.

Did I mention . . .

I don't like to paint with a brush.
I don't like to paint with a roller.
I don't like to paint with a sprayer.

Other than that, I'm good to go.

--Bill aka not a painter
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

seal killer wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:22 pm
First, back to painting.

Did I mention . . .

I don't like to paint with a brush.
I don't like to paint with a roller.
I don't like to paint with a sprayer.

Other than that, I'm good to go.

--Bill aka not a painter

May I suggest a try at,
a 5 gallon bucket
a broom
and a 6-pack.

What could possibly go wrong?

;)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
pete

Post by pete »

Well there's also a much quicker way.........................https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9MAmWnOznI :-)
spro

Post by spro »

That was funny. :)
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

pete--

The immortal Mr. Bean!

--Bill
You are what you write.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

seal killer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:35 am pete--

The immortal Mr. Bean!

--Bill
Rowan Atkinson.
His best work, in my opinion, was in The Thin Blue Line. Very funny man!

You've not seen it?

Give this a go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYTxZTH ... FYuCdqH8UT

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold--

You're right! Thanks for the link.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Welcome. Susan and I have really enjoyed that series, short as it was.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:51 pm
May I suggest a try at,
a 5 gallon bucket
a broom
and a 6-pack.

What could possibly go wrong?
Nothing!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30