OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

TomB

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by TomB »

I find that the 2" straps with ratchets work very well. I use four when moving a machine in my truck. The bed has a steel loops inside the box, one per corner. That allows me to hook the straps so that they vee out and down on both sides of the machine. The one thing I would caution you about is total weight. Machines are heavy. Semi trucks can haul 40 or 60 tons, pickup trucks only about one or two tons. There are several numbers to consider (1) what is load capacity of truck, (2) what is haul capacity of truck, (3) what is tongue rating of the truck and hitch, (4) what is load capacity of the truck. Not only are machines heavy, the tools we use with machines are heavy. Rotary tables only weigh 100 pounds of so, but put in two plus the extra 4 jaw plus a box or two of mills and clamping parts then add two sets of numbered drills, etc. and when you go to lift the tongue you can discover that the sum of all those small weights is a big weight poorly packed.

If you are like me you also consider the weather. I don't even like to haul tools in my enclosed trailer if it is raining cats and dogs. It always make me think the trailer could hydroplane or be blown sideways. As such I've made multiple trips to move my shop and still have 2 or 3 trips to go. I watch the sinking of the trailer and truck springs and when I think they are getting down a reasonable bit I stop loading and haul it away to VT then spend a week unloading after which I can return to NY and do it again.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Tom—

Thank you for the ideas. I’ll remember them. I’ll add some 2” straps to my strap purchase.

I have a new RAM 3500. I regularly pull 14k pounds . . . tractor and big skid steer. My lathe, mill and saws don’t come anywhere near that (unfortunately!). Probably 4,000lbs, total.

I’ll add all your good advice to the good-advice pot!

Thanks!

—Bill
You are what you write.
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

The best chafing that I've found is old fire hose the type that looks like canvas with rubber on the inside, I use the 4" size cut into 4" and longer pieces slip the straps thru the hose, they don't slip or cut.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I'm probably too late with this, but don't be afraid to build some doo-dads and things to tie things down with the straps. I've done that with all kinds of machinery and equipment. Timber, steel lined with rubber....anything that will work to keep top heavy things from tilting.

We're due for more pics aren't we Bill? ;)
Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Bill--

I have been back and forth and back and forth and . . .

I have photos and videos. I HOPE to have them processed by tomorrow.

--Other Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

I created this latest Construction Update video on an overcast day. Forgive the lighting!

https://youtu.be/pJ9KD9RUh1c

In other news, I caught another beautiful little bobcat on my game camera. He was strolling about the deer/coon/turkey feeder. He (or maybe she, I don't know and wouldn't want to find out even if I had the chance to pick it up) was probably smelling aforementioned prey. Maybe that's what the bears that come by smell, prey; principally the deer.
--Bill
You are what you write.
reubenT

Post by reubenT »

I'd love it. I have 80 acres here in TN since 1986, rough mountainside with springs and timber, very little level, been harvesting timber ever since at a rate of $4,000-10,000 per year. Starts a half mile off the main road and is almost a mile long with thousands of acres of rough land beyond, caves and waterfalls here and there. Working on clearing areas that are usable for gardens. But I'm done harvesting trees and working our truck shop instead, repairing semi trucks and trailers. Collecting the junk brake drums for eventual recycling into casting steam engine parts, and use them for agriculture support work. I plan to build greenhouses to help out with the growing season. My two favorite occupations, gardening and metal working. But deer eating the garden is a problem, I'll have to build more fences.
pete

Post by pete »

It would be pretty rare for a black bear to even try for a deer Bill. Way too quick for them unless it was old and/or sick. There mostly foragers and eat everything from fresh grass in the spring to grubs or anything dead. I have seen full grown grizzlys digging up fox dens and snacking on the new pups though. Not a pretty sight. PETA would be horrified I guess.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

PETA is in denial that life is "eat or be eaten." It's not always pretty.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
pete

Post by pete »

Exactly Ed, and where do they draw the line? Isn't bacteria alive? Only animals are mentioned in there name so unethical treatment of plants and bacteria is open season? Logic from PETA members isn't very pretty either. Easy to have firm beliefs about how the rest of us should live our lives when your not starving. Leave them for a week without food on a deserted island of baby seals with a barbeque and a spear and then see what happens. :-)
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

reubenT and All--

reubenT, let me know how you solve the deer/greenhouse problem. We are facing the same issue.

If the greenhouse had solid sides up to three feet and it was raised--say six feet--and the only access was a set of steps, would that solve it?

--Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Nice progress Bill!

I've never had deer that were break in artists. Elk....different story. They'll knock down stuff to get to the hay in the barn.
I have seen deer pop over a 5 foot fence like it wasn't there, and right into the garden. Nimble critters. The fence went up another foot.
Not sure with greenhouses. Only used one in Alaska, and the problem there was bears, who will tear up anything for food.

:) Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.