OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Well...it's just as exciting than watching paint dry.... ;)
I've never sprayed on stain. Thought about re staining the porch with a sprayer, but went with a brush.

Looks a lot like work Bill.

:) Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Here is a post that has at least SOME bearing to this forum!

First, other stuff. The wiring is pretty much done. So is the plumbing. This is not to say either is finished, though. The sheetrock is up and taped and floated. Painting is going on right now. (I think. I'm not there.)

I wish we had made up a laundry list of things to complete at the beginning of the project. The 25 item list we just created would then look small. :{ Exterior rock facia, concrete pad in front of the garage, a pathway and steps to the front porch which will never be used, deck (12' x 72') patio (nn x 72' and I suppose "nn" will be when I get tired of laying rock from the house out to the edge of the cliff about 30 feet away), five garage doors with openers on four of them, interior door selection (selecting them is the hard part), interior rock on three walls, the ERV system unit . . .

Now, to the part that is relevant to this forum! Here are a couple of shots of the garage. The first shows an arrangement of milled lumber way over in the NE section that cleared up enough room for what the second shot shows (the white material on top of the wood is left over radiant barrier). The garage is 40' x 50' and will easily hold six vehicles. And, neither picture shows my shop area, laundry room or full bath.
--Bill
IMG_7075 - resized.jpg
Attachments
IMG_7081 - resized.jpg
You are what you write.
spro

Post by spro »

This has been an immense project. There is little to add to what has been done. I will note that; the walls should have some diagonal support similar to the initial bracing. Back in the day, they cut through the verticals and notched out the diagonals to brace the walls against "twist". There were other ways as individual sections, cut to fit, to achieve a diagonal brace along each section. The outer steel sheet cannot do what these braces can prevent. It may be hard to fathom now but your garage is immense and susceptible to winds and something else which can twist it.
Before the inside walls, which yes do support somewhat..and yes these structures make it slightly more difficult to drill through ( for electrical etc.) They are still a brace that you can't do once the wall on.
spro

Post by spro »

There is more too this. Bracing diagonal is ancient knowledge and all the old surviving barns had it certain ways. It is a frame within a frame.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

spro--

Thank you. The lumber for the diagonals is one of the stacks in the garage. It will be braced as you said some time this winter.

Eventually, after I spray foam the ceiling and walls, I will put OSB on the walls. THAT should help with the bracing, too.

--Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

OSB will do wonders for bracing alone Bill!
We had a old small barn on the place we bought in Oregon, about 16' x 20', 2" x 4" framed, and you could stand inside it and tilt the walls back & forth. The way the east wind blows through the Colombia Gorge, I figured it was not long before it ended up in a different county.
The T1-11 siding on the outside was nailed on....with too short of nails, so I got some deck screws and took care of that. Helped a bunch, but it was still a bit wobbly. Then I screwed 1/2" OSB on the inside, and that took care of it.

Man that's lookin' like a lot of room Bill! Nice!
Worst part of any project, is when you get close to the end of the project.
Hang in there!

Other Bill
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

the external cladding will act as corner bracing, presuming it's well attached [and I have no doubt that it is].
I've been enjoying the progress and the photos on this thread, thanks for sharing the fun!
pete

Post by pete »

I've read a lot of magazine articals, posts etc mostly about building new woodworking shops Bill. One consistant theme by most who have built more than one new shop was that it's more than worthwhile to pay the extra and sheet the main shop area's inside walls with 3/4" ply even if a different material was being used to finish them off. That way you could hang almost anything anywhere and not be locked into the studs position and spacing. For at least your metal shop area I'd certainly think long and hard about that. OSB isn't even close to ply for screw retention and structual strength. From what you've said the actual enclosed shop area isn't going to be all that large so it would add little to the final price.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Ok . . . it is really going slow! We are so far out in the backwoods that it is difficult to get workers. Some days, only the builder is on site. Other days, he might have three workers show up. Everyone has to drive 84 miles, ONE WAY, to get to the site. The bank is inspecting today so we can extend the loan.

Painting will wrap up this week. The lower level ceilings are finished . . . orange peel. The upper level vaulted ceilings are car siding (reversed) and will go up after the painting is finished; next week is the schedule. We'll see.

The custom kitchen and bath cabinets plus some custom shelving for the pantry and to cover the vault door are due to be installed NOW. It is safe to start on the lower level, since all but touch-up painting is finished.

The flooring. That is an entire topic by itself. Three months ago, we were assured that it would be in two weeks after we wrote a BIG check. So we wrote a BIG check. Two weeks later, the flooring was in the warehouse just as they said. But, they couldn't get a shipper to deliver way out in the woods. Kept looking for a shipper. Found one a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't get them scheduled. My son is a high-end freight broker. He offered to arrange shipping. I took him up on it. Now that there was no impediment to moving the flooring from the warehouse to my house, the owner of the flooring company told us the flooring was in California and would ship this week. Hmmmm. I think the next BIG check for the tile and granite will go to a DIFFERENT vendor. Too bad. This vendor has put in hours and hours and hours of design time on the tile and granite.

Here are some pictures and commentary . . .

This is what I am simply calling the "front room." It is the combined kitchen/dining room/living room (and pantry . . . you can see the doorway). I'm tired of writing all that. See the Mitsubishi Minisplit unit over by the ladder? It will add heat or cold to the radiant heating and cooling provided by the well in the event we need it. The informed speculation is that we might need a little additional heating, but no additional cooling.

01-21-18 Kit-Dng-Liv - resized.jpg

This is the upper level master bedroom (our bedroom). The doorway to the left leads to my den/library. (It's not very big . . . large enough for book shelves to line the walls and two comfy chairs.) There will be French double-doors on that doorway. The doorway on the right leads to the master bath and master closet. You can see the leg of a red ladder on the left through that doorway. That ladder is in the master closet. The right side of the doorway leads into the master bath.

01-21-18 Upper Master Bedroom - resized.jpg

This is the upper level master bedroom ceiling. There are 16 can lights. I'll put 60 watt equivalent LEDs in each one. The single row on the right is independently switchable from the rows on the left. Both sections are dimmable. (All the lights in the house are dimmable.)

01-21-18 Upper Master Bedroom Ceiling - resized.jpg

This is another picture of the vault room. I spent two nights in there this weekend. As I was about to (safely!) go to sleep, I got to thinking about the size of the vault. It is 14'+ by 18'+ which is a little larger than the master bedroom of the house we sold. (Note to self: I need more guns!)

01-21-18 Vault Room - resized.JPG

--Bill
You are what you write.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

BIG!
~RN
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

NP317 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:18 pm BIG!
~RN
Big? More like YUUUUGE!
Spacious barn sized rooms!

Those vaulted ceilings are going to look really nice Bill! Me and a couple other guys I worked with rented a big cabin in Montana, with vaulted ceilings all done with tongue & groove. I should have taken pictures, as it was quite the cabin....a three story cabin..... :)

Maybe when the weather gets better, you can get more reliable help? I come from an industry that is used to tramping around, and living in campers & travel trailers. I guess construction guys aren't wired like we are....except in Alaska!

Looking good!

Other Bill

Oh yeah....forgot to mention....you can't have too many guns!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

That's one mighty castle you're building there Bill!