OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by BadDog »

Fantastic! Doesn't get any better than that.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Cool! So when are you building the observatory? :)

Pete
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Pete--

On the astronomy subject (to be precise, the astrophotography subject), I brought enough stuff into the house from the garage that I found components of my mount!

I haven't found a good place close to the house to build the observatory. I'm looking at a spot about a half mile from here. Of course, it will need a bed and "stuff."

--Bill
You are what you write.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

There is a road off Highway 3 on the way out of Osoyoos in southern BC leading to a group of houses in Observatory ridge / drive on the top of a mountain. All the places have observatories either built into the house or beside them. Bet you are wishing you thought of that when you were designing yours eh? ;)
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Surely you don't want your observatory close to the house. Convection currents can ruin the seeing.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Pete and John--

Re: "Bet you are wishing you thought of that when you were designing yours eh?"

Pete, if I had built in a spot that was more bare of trees than this one, I would have certainly considered such a thing. I can't bear to cut down a beautiful tree and I've got some nice ones around the house. If I could figure out a way to get a solid mount on an artificial tower--say, about 15' high--I might clear enough of the treetops by 10pm to view until dawn.

Re: "Convection currents can ruin the seeing."

John, I would LIKE to have an observatory within easy walking distance at oh-dark-thirty, especially WAY OUT here! Although I had not thought of convection currents from the house disturbing the "seeing", there is a possibility.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

I could think of lots of ideas but you have to come up with the money to make it. :) Like a small version of a forest fire lookout tower. You could even use some of your logs if you sit them on steel anchors pads above concrete bases so they won't rot. You'll figure out something eventually. ;)

Pete
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Finally got some speed back, and looked at your vid Bill.
Nice! Really nice!
When ya gonna show us the important part? (Your shop)

;)

Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Bill--

I cleared out the space in the garage for the shop yesterday. Tomorrow I'll start initial framing. When I get a stick or two stood up, I'll take a picture and post it on a new thread.

I am eager to get that project completed. My machinery has been stored all this time in a temperature and humidity controlled storage space. It needs to come to its new home!

--Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Yeah....the fun stuff always comes last, doesn't it!
(Always has for me)

Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Ok. Its been a while since I last posted. All is good. The house has been finished for quite some time. I am working in the garage in the areas dedicated to the hallway leading from the garage into the house, full bath (#5), the laundry and--most importantly!--my shop.

Structurally, its all done. The hallway, laundry and bath need to be tiled. In the meantime, all of it is up and running.

Regarding the shop . . .

I'm in the process of painting the OSB. I just finished the first coat of Killz primer. Current thinking is that the shop will be a light gray. I'll use R30 fiberglass above the OSB ceiling which rests on all those 2x10s on 16" centers plus that backbone beam I built from tripled 2x10s. (The same insulation will go above the hallway, laundry and bath.)

I cranked up the radiant heating in the aforementioned areas a few days ago. Even without insulation above the ceilings (the exterior walls are close cell foamed), it is staying around 65. Outside, it's around 51*. Alexa just told me that. (It warmed up. It was in the low 40s.) So, anyway, the radiant heating out there appears to be working. Big relief.

As soon as the painting is finished I will haul my machinery up here! (I'm both eager and nervous about moving it.) The interior garage door--the only door to the shop from the garage--is not up, but that's not going to slow me down. I've got a plastic tarp over the doorway and that's good enough. As soon as the painting is finished, I'll stick a dehumidifier in the shop and place the equipment in it.

I still have all my Gladiator cabinets. I'll use them on the walls, plus I've got the roll-aways, as well.

--Bill
You are what you write.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Bringing the machines!
[drum-roll]

When your shop is set up, you're home.