OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by seal killer »

RSG--

My CURRENT plan is to strap them (lathe, mill, and two saws) down on my 22' H&H Speedloader EX and drag it very slowly over the logging road. I suppose it is no longer fair to characterize it as a logging road. We have improved the entire 1.5 mile length of it quite a bit. It is now possible to get a two wheel drive sedan over it if you are very careful in one spot where a couple of rocks protrude on a steep slope. My trailer loaded with the skid steer clears this spot without problem, so it should clear easily with the lathe, mill and saws.

I will gladly take any tie down suggestions for the equipment.

--Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Great progress Bill!

Getting to the important part too....The new, improved Garage Ma Hal! :)
FYI.....fresh stocked fish are easy & fun to catch, but sure ain't much for eatin'. Found that out years ago in Colorado. Gave 'blah'....a new meaning. Next day....we threw all the rainbow back, and kept the little brookies we caught.
Use plenty of straps on your gear on the trailer, and you'll be fine. I've hauled in all kinds of stuff over some really nasty roads to remote worksites. 4WD territory. All a matter of preparation.

Lookin' good!
Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Steve,

Thing about movers Steve, is the mileage isn't the big deal. It's the loading & unloading, and packing & unpacking if you went that route. The distance in between is the easy part.
If you have stuff that requires any machinery to load & unload, the price goes up dramatically.
There is merit to paying someone to move it.....if they break it....they buy it. When my friend in town moved his machine shop (a real machine shop) he hired movers solely for that reason.
My uncle used to own a moving company. Was good summer work for a couple years when I was a kid when we lived close to him! :)

Agreed with others....8" x 10" photo glossies....with pictures and arrows, and a paragraph.

:)
Bill
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

If and when I move again, my FIRST step will be to buy a fork lift, probably sold once moved to recoup most if not all the cost. I've passed on a few in the last few years, one was even basically free but needed hydro work and I DIDN'T need another project. Just not enough need to have one on hand (and maintain), but for the span of a move, oh HE77 YES.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BadDog wrote:If and when I move again, my FIRST step will be to buy a fork lift, probably sold once moved to recoup most if not all the cost. I've passed on a few in the last few years, one was even basically free but needed hydro work and I DIDN'T need another project. Just not enough need to have one on hand (and maintain), but for the span of a move, oh HE77 YES.
Heh!
When we made plans to move to Washington, I knew I'd need a lift truck. Started looking and ran across one that had been hauled to Utah from California, from the prison system. Had pneumatic tires and rated to lift three tons. The engine was shot, but being a 4 banger, I figured it would be cheap enough to repair, and I've done my share of engine work in my years.

It cost me around $3,000 to repair the engine, a 77 Toyota. It now runs nicely, but the entire truck is worn out. Transmission is questionable, and steering has about a half turn slack in the wheel. Brakes hardly work, and the boom is badly worn. This thing was ridden hard and put away wet.

I likely will do very little in the way of repairs, but it runs well enough to enable me to move the largest piece of equipment I have, the power supply for my induction furnace (three tons). I'd be lost without it.

Don't know that I'd agree with the get rid of it after the move idea, though. Once you have something like a lift truck, you find all types of projects where it can be used to advantage. Ours sure came in handy when we shingled the shop and house.

Yeah, they do sit idle a lot. But what do you do when you need one and don't have it?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold and BadDog and Bill and All--

I plan to buy forks for my skid steer to unload the equipment at the house. I'll have to hire someone to load it in KC since I don't have equipment on this end.

I suppose I will have to hire the rigger that originally moved my machinery to load it on my trailer. That will be expensive, but hopefully, worth it.

I'll have to learn how to use the forks, though.

--Bill
You are what you write.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Yeah, I have certainly seen the need for a fork lift from time to time, but I have various things that take up less room and require less service that generally allow me to get what I need done. That includes a modified pallet jack for moving heavy machines, tractor with loader (and forks) for lighter stuff in it's range, a-frame gantry, folding shop lift (aka "cherry picker"), etc. Of course it helps to know that if I REALLY need one, I can borrow one (with trailer) any time for little more than an hour drive round trip. If not for that, I might think differently. And if I move again, I'm pretty certain it will have a still bigger shop, so maybe keeping a forklift might be a good plan.

Also, for clarity, I was talking about buying (more like renting) a good marketable lift to simply use and already be in shape to sell. Before or during a move the last thing I want to take on is a repair project. So while I'm absolutely a tight fisted (cheap) as anyone, if I can buy it at or a bit below market with little effort, use it for a month or so and put it back on the same (or better one hopes) market, you almost get it for free (more a short term investment than purchase). Though there is risk, unless you get taken on the purchase or wind up selling in a harder market (like buying in Phoenix and selling in rural N AZ), it's much more convenient and cheaper than renting for just a few days.

Bill: A skid steer with forks is certainly much more capable that forks on a tractor loader, but still not up to the abilities of a fork lift for moving heavy machines on concrete. For one thing, it's not quite as "sensitive" when working the load without upsetting it, and it doesn't have near the rear ballast. Typical load limits on a small fork lift is around 5k (with safety margin), which barely covers my lathe. It likely would not be moved by a skid steer, though I don't know what the load capabilities are for the larger skids, so it may work for you, but be very careful with jerky movements that are common on heavy loaded skid. Good luck, let me know when I should pack my bags. ;)
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I have movers ransacking my world right now. They wanted $300 extra to roll my drill press and vertical band saw on their truck, and I opted out. Whatever the rigger charges, I'm sure adding two small machines will not run me more than $300.

They're moving my grand piano right now. I need a drink. No, I need phenobarbitol.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Your movers are nuts....and on opium.
I moved my in-laws out of the PRC (Peoples Republic of California)He was quite the woodworker & cabinet maker. Band saw, table saw, radial arm, drill presses, sanders.....that was the EASY part.
All those boxes and furniture took a whole lot more time, hand trucks and all.

Take two beers....and call me in the morning.
:)
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

They completely jammed the first truck, and the second truck comes tomorrow. On Saturday I plan to lie on my face and kiss the dirt of northern Florida, after checking for cow pies.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

BadDog--

I know all about how jerky the skid steer can be! When I have to be extra careful on a lift, I throttle that baby WAY down; depending on the load, sometimes down to an idle. I think it will handle my machinery at an idle or barely above.

My Komatsu tips at 4000lbs, so that is way good enough for my 1500lb lathe or mill.

--Bill
You are what you write.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

My tools are on that truck. How am I supposed to survive for two days with no tools? I am highly disturbed.