Lookie What I Get to Use!!!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

toddalin

Lookie What I Get to Use!!!

Post by toddalin »

We joined the Urban Workshop. I have access to a complete machine shop (2015 HAAS CNC, Bridgeport, lathe, brakes, etc), wood shop (4' x 8' CNC router), autoshop (5 lifts), welding shop (ALL types), paint area, work stations, industrial sewing stations, solder stations, computer workshop, $35K 3D printer, laser cutter, vinyl cutter, etc., etc., etc.

If the equipment is dangerous, or you could do it harm, you must first take their class to use it. But in just 15 hours of class time, you can be running a new HAAS with someone to help you if you need it. They even have HAAS programming "practice stations."

When you want to use a specific piece of the big equipment (e.g., HAAS) you book it in 2-hour increments (no charge to use) and you can only have one booking on a piece of equipment at a time (i.e., you can't book it again until you use the last one). It is almost dead during the day when I would usually go so this shouldn't be a problem.

http://urbanworkshop.net/
SteveHGraham

Re: Lookie What I Get to Use!!!

Post by SteveHGraham »

They have something similar in Miami. The tools consist of a Harbor Freight mini-lathe and a chipping hammer, known locally as a "cheepi cheepi."
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Sounds perfect for you, but it would be a heckuva commute for some of us.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Looks cool, I hope it survives and inspires similar outfits in other cities.

Not that I plan to live in a city myself...
reggie_obe

Post by reggie_obe »

A yearly membership contract works out to about $4 a day. What specific machines or classes made you decide to join? Oh, I see instructional classes are extra..... No mention about the instructors or their qualifications.
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

We started the Urban Workshop last night with the laser etcher/cutter class and also have access to the 3D printer. The laser is great for working with acrylic, though you can/do get some minor burn spots along the edges.

Unfortunately, while use of the printer and laser are included in the membership, the media are not. For the laser, you just bring in what you want to cut/etch, if it is on the approved list.

For the 3D printer, they supply the ABS media in cassette spools. The media costs $10/cubic inch plus a $9 recycling fee on the empty cassettes! (I have no idea how far a cassette goes.) The proposed stands would use about 20 cubic inches of material EACH or about $200 just in materials. Ouch!

Maybe make one and do a mold.
WJH

Post by WJH »

toddalin wrote: For the 3D printer, they supply the ABS media in cassette spools. The media costs $10/cubic inch plus a $9 recycling fee on the empty cassettes! (I have no idea how far a cassette goes.) The proposed stands would use about 20 cubic inches of material EACH or about $200 just in materials. Ouch!

Buy your own 3d printer, and your own material. Some one is ripping people off
CaptonZap

Post by CaptonZap »

WJH wrote:
toddalin wrote: For the 3D printer, they supply the ABS media in cassette spools. The media costs $10/cubic inch plus a $9 recycling fee on the empty cassettes! (I have no idea how far a cassette goes.) The proposed stands would use about 20 cubic inches of material EACH or about $200 just in materials. Ouch!

No they aren't. They are trying to run a profitable business.
People who have never run a business that allows the customers to interact with the machines have no idea of the upkeep required to keep the machines running.
CZ
WJH

Post by WJH »

CaptonZap wrote:
WJH wrote:

No they aren't. They are trying to run a profitable business.
People who have never run a business that allows the customers to interact with the machines have no idea of the upkeep required to keep the machines running.
CZ
I just looked at the equipment list, noticed some nice things they have, like a cold saw, the 3d printer is actually a high end .007 resolution ABS printer, with way over priced media (typical), and a HAAS CNC mill... Ok, I am intrigued, you got some stuff there that most home workshops don't have. I'd still rather have my own of course... When I lived in San Francisco, my only option would of been to join one of those "clubs".
I am happy for everyone that can make good use of it!
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

We got to use the laser etcher/cutter yesterday. Has to be the most popular piece of equipment there. My first efforts:

Today I took their woodshop class so now I get to use all of that equipment (except the 4' x 8' CNC router which requires another class). Friday night I'll take the metal shop class so will be able to use that equipment. I will also take the milling and lathe classes in the next week or two.
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

I have now been through the classes to use the laser cutters/etchers, tools in the wood shop, tools in the metal shop, and last night I took the class on using the lathe so am certified to use that now.

Lots of differences between the KENT lathe and my ShopMaster. :wink:

My slant plate assembly came together nicely on the laser cutter