How to clamp work....?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

TechTony

How to clamp work....?

Post by TechTony »

So I've recently acquired a clamping kit that fits my t-slot table. I broke it out and clamped down a piece of work and started to set up for my first mill cut - dropped the bit to line up and discovered that the bottom of the bit is 3" from the top of my work piece. Image attached. So yea, I'm not real sure about how is best to proceed... Do they make a longer spindle that I should acquire? Err... should I make one? Or should I figure out a way to elevate the work piece? I never thought something that appears to be so seemingly simple would stump me, but yea, I'm really not sure how is best to proceed here.
Attachments
20160917_154946.jpg
spro

Re: How to clamp work....?

Post by spro »

The clamp parts shown are part of two-piece clamps. There is also a triangular base which fits those step teeth. The clamp top is arranged to required height or slightly above and the Tee bolt nut tightens securely.
TechTony

Post by TechTony »

ahh.... so I'm doing it wrong... that explains it....

Unfortunately, the set didn't come with documentation.
spro

Post by spro »

Yea see your toes are upside down in the pic. These are also known as step clamps. Depending upon how they are arranged, Extreme pressure is applied thru the toe to the work.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
TechTony

Post by TechTony »

My piece is 1/8" plate..... not real sure how I'm gonna rig something up to work... but that picture helps a lot - so thanks for that!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

It's a video.

Click on it to watch it.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
TechTony

Post by TechTony »

did --- and I'm starting to wonder if this clamping set just isn't the right tool for what I'm trying to do....
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Consider looking at the DVD's from Swarfrat.com. Very helpful.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Mount your work piece on 1-2-3" blocks to move it closer to spindle. Most mills by raising the table or dropping the head or both should allow the spindle to touch the table when extended.
www.chaski.com
spro

Post by spro »

Looking again at the layout, I see an endmill in a Jacobs type chuck. This isn't going to work, Tony, no matter how you mount the work. The milling cutter is going to get hung up and break unless doing little scratch cuts which dull very quickly. Nobody is trying to embarrass the same sorts of things which we all had to know. The situation I see will worry the chuck taper off the arbor. Collets and less flutes for aluminum for progress. Right now, serious clamping is only one part of the actual milling intended.
rudd

Post by rudd »

Using an EM in a Jacobs chuck is not the best idea.. in fact it is a pretty bad idea, especially if the chuck is a taper mount to the spindle or arbor. Side loads cause the tapers to release, so the EM/Chuck assembly could come loose at speed.
Also, EM's are harder than drill shanks, so a jacobs type chuck can't really hold them well. Could suck it down into the work, could let it ride up into the chuck, or could just let it spin in the chuck.
Does this mill have a drawbar for holding tools in the spindle? I.e., is there a long threaded rod of some sort, one end threads into say the arbor your chuck is attached to, the other end has a nut at the top of the spindle? You need a collet or endmill holder to hold your endmill.