Rust prevention & removal & lubricants - oils vs "WD40" vs natural fats (animal/plant)

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

atunguyd

Re: Rust prevention & removal & lubricants - oils vs "WD40" vs natural fats (animal/plant)

Post by atunguyd »

I run a dehumidifier in my workshop which works well.

I also recently got a can of this
https://www.amazon.com/Lear-Chemical-AC ... B000P1C8UO
When the side of the can suggests typical application being rotor heads then that's cool enough for me.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
liveaboard

Re: Rust prevention & removal & lubricants - oils vs "WD40" vs natural fats (animal/plant)

Post by liveaboard »

I have the same problem; near the sea, uninsulated workshop, even a porous roof.
But I don't think a single one of those US products are available here in Portugal [except regular WD-40].
I'm keeping my wood chisels in Tupperware. That works well.
When I lived in India I kept my tools in ammo boxes or air tight plastic barrels, but it's such a pain to dig things out and put them back all the time.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

One trick that folks with gage blocks (Jo blocks) and pin gages do is rug lanolin on the surfaces then with a very clean soft cloth rub as much as possible off. The lanolin gets into the pores of the metal and becomes a moderate rust inhibitor. Lanolin can be had from Flexbar or other tool companies and it is not expensive for a tube. For tools in a tool box go to your pharmacist and ask for camphor in small bars. Put one or two (top and bottom drawers) in your tool box. This is also a moderate rust preventer.
Cary
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Boeshield
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Yachtsman

Post by Yachtsman »

Lanolin based products. 100% ECO and food grade. Works fantastic and can be applied under all weather conditions even under water.
WD40 ( Water Displacement formula 40 ) has almost zero lubricant, so you need to keep applying it. Waste of money. Lanolin is a bit more expensive but last for ages. Also great to waterproof leather shoes and boots.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I love WD40 for removing stickers and machining aluminum. I like the fact that it evaporates. Which is one reason it's a useless lubricant and rust preventative.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

WD40 is a temporary thing. It has it's uses...many....
When I was working two weeks on & one week off, it worked perfectly for a rust preventative.
Before I hit the road to go back to work, I'd spray WD40 on my lathe, mill, drill press, etc.
When I came back, I could clean them off with a quick wipe, and go to work. Most of the WD40 was gone, seldom much dust collected on anything, and nothing rusted.
Use much of anything else, and you have a gloppy mess....with dirt in it, to clean. Wasn't the case with the WD40.

And for those with kids, or grandkids....it removes crayon marks from the walls....

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Regular use with greasy .oily hands!
Never done more that that.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
CaptonZap

Post by CaptonZap »

Boiled linseed oil
juiceclone

Post by juiceclone »

strange as it sounds, I've had some success coating things with oil based wood stain. It's made to penetrate and then dry!!
If u don't mind messy, mix a bit of grease with gasoline and squirt that on. The gas penetrates, evaporates, and leaves behind whatever grease u used. Really good on control cables etc. because it gets into any space.
Ironman1

Post by Ironman1 »

I am a big fan of fluidfilm.com. Fluid Film works well for me and penetrates metal
Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune.- Jim Rohn

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison