shop built dividing head help

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: shop built dividing head help

Post by spro »

I understand, Stephen. It is important sometimes for another to have the same considerations. There is one cutting splines on utube. The head and tail are fairly rigid but the splines are part of the shaft and not the same as a wider gear. I know it has been done for a long time and do not mean to dissuade you from the project.
spro

Post by spro »

Oh heck. What brand shaper are you using, if you don't mind sharing that? Atlas was 7" with square ways. Others: Shape Rite, AAmco ,Logan, South Bend and earlier Traverse and Boyington &Plummer. Many more of Europe and once distant places using different ways. While the Atlas is cool with its long tether handle (like slipping the clutch) others had a heavy flywheel and handle for short stroke projects. There was feedback through the gearing of how it was cutting. That was the original variable speed.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

its an 8 inch broad-head garret i rescued from the salvage yard . when i found it , it was missing the table , motor , reeves drive and compound .
but the ram and ways where in great shape and for $ .20 a pound it was just begging me to take it home .
it sat in my shop for about a year while i was waiting for something that might be usable for a table to pop up until one day a buddy asked me to take a ride up to hgr surplus with him to look at some wood working equipment he was interested in .

while he was doing his thing i decided to wander around a little and check out what all they had ,... three hours and about 10 miles later i happened to spy a familiar shape stuck in a pile of scrap ... another shaper identical to mine .
evidently it had had a rough life , the base casting was in two pieces laying in another pile of scrap and the shaper casting its self was cracked . and pretty well stripped of everything .

but it had the compound still on the ram so i walked the two miles back to the office and asked if i could go back and take some parts off it .
the sales guy i talked to said sure no problem so back i went with tools in hand .
while i was removing the compound another employee stopped to see what i was up to ... and to my surprise he mentioned that he was pretty sure that most of the shaper was in the pile somewhere .

another hours worth of scavenging and i had the reeves drive , table and feed mechanism to go along with the compound . all for the low low price of $25 and just like that i had a working shaper .

the feed ratchet and pawl are pretty much worn completely out , it will feed one direction somewhat reliably as long as you stay handy to help it past one tooth that is to worn to drive it , it wont feed from the left to the right at all its just to worn out .
but thats ok ... i have the correct parts to copy now and once i get the tooling made i can make a brand new ratchet gear to replace it .
spro

Post by spro »

Man ! I was almost with you. I remember shorter walks in blinding heat to find, to find.
Your travel had great results. Remarkable timing for your shaper parts and I would never forget that experience. So I understand more and why It Will Work !
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

You were lucky when you went to HGR. When we went in Jan of this year everything was split into tote boxes. If you saw something you liked you were required to buy the whole tote box. I found a dis-assembled universal grinder vise and the parts were in two different tote boxes and I'd be flummoxed if I was going to buy 2 $75 tote boxes. What a disappointment. I hope they have changed since then.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Grantham

Post by Grantham »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-we6ORrJgUI&t=5s shows
part 1 of my 2 part video on building a cheap diving head. Hope
this give you inspiration. Also on my channel is a video showing
the machining of a spur gear. Rod
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

uuhg ... hgr and the totes . i didn't look in very many of them . like you i became quite disgusted with the seemingly intentional placement of things that go together in separate totes .
lucky for me the pile i was digging in was destined for the scrap hoppers .

now a question ... has anyone ever had a worm drive circular saw apart and maybe know what the ratio is on the worm/gear .
i have a couple worm drive saws and i almost never use the smaller 7 1/4 inch saw . i am not against cannibalizing it for parts .
i only gave $7 for it and it leaks oil fast enough to need filling every time it gets used .
spro

Post by spro »

I'm surprised that more replies have not come your way. You are out in the woods freezing.. Of course you are not. You are cooking up a design with materials and thought. I swear you younger guys amaze me. There is the site Friendly Machinist, which of course is not cited directly but a very good build of an indexing head which could be strengthened at one end for shaper.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

You made me think of the very talented Japanese home machinist Ihimura. It took me a moment to dig up his website, and I don't see a dividing head, but it was interesting to look over his site again after all this time. Years have passed since I first saw it, and I certainly know a lot more now than I did then, but even with more room and more/"better" machines I still couldn't hold a candle to him.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

Hi fellas

I've been putting a lot of thought into the dividing head and I think I have a fairly good plan brewing .
So I've started my search for a worm and gear to build around . I have scrounged up a few of the materials I'll need . And once I have the worm/ gear I'll work on the rest .
With the exception of some bronze for bushings and a few tools I'll need I think most everything will be pretty easy to pick up for next to no money .

Once I have the worm/gear I am going to do a simple line drawing and maybe pick up Some helpful advice .

RGS

Post by RGS »

Here are a couple of links to dividing heads for shapers to make gears.
http://neme-s.org/Shaper%20Books/Michae ... %20cut.pdf
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/remark/pages ... tting.html

And a link to a page that has a lot of shaper info.
http://neme-s.org/
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I wonder if automotive parts could work for your worm, perhaps from power steering, rear end diff, or other transmission parts.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...