Multi-fix tool holder mod

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Multi-fix tool holder mod

Post by John Evans »

I mentioned last week that the parting tool holder that came with post and holder score used the un-available in this country 3/8th tall blade. Create Tool [China] version takes the common 1/2" blade. Used my hardness file set to get a idea how hard the holder was, RC 45 or so. That is machinable with carbide so next step was to figgure out what the angle the blade was held at. Turns out 4* ,now I do not normally use vises with swivel bases but I do have them. Went a different way using a small tool makers vise in the Kurt. Used the 4* angle block on one face and a round pin on the other side centered one the angle block . [See pictures] Worked a treat . A bit of milling and now the holder takes 1/2 blades. Clamp plate tends to cock ,so at the moment a 1/8 pin supports it.[see picture] Works fine but I have a refinement in mind. Chinese version uses a L shaped clamp rather the the simple flat bar. I'll sleep on a few ideas and see if I can make a better system. Both the Swiss and Chinese holders use the double bevel blades.
Attachments
tool holder 001.JPG
tool holder 002.JPG
tool holder 003.JPG
tool holder 004.JPG
www.chaski.com