Aluminum Wheel Corrosion

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Aluminum Wheel Corrosion

Post by ctwo »

I was changing a motorcycle tire and had the question of what to use for lubrication. I used Windex because that is what I saw on youtube. Now the guys are telling me the ammonia will corrode the aluminum rims. Well, my flavor of Windex did not list Ammonia on the label, but the Windex website does. Either way, there is probably some other detergents to be concerned of, or not? The rims are painted, but have a couple spots that have been smoothed out with some sand paper and file, so bare aluminum theres...
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
f350ca

Re: Aluminum Wheel Corrosion

Post by f350ca »

Dish soap probably isn't the best but does work.
Was polishing an aluminum canoe this fall, with aluminum polish and a sheep skin buffing pad on the 7 inch sander/polisher. You could see it was shinny through the black residue but when I tried to wash the residue off with windex the shine wasn't there. Took a couple of tries to relies the windex had ammonia and was tarnishing the aluminum instantly. Soap and water worked.

Greg
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Aluminum and anything alkali do not mix, ammonia is a alkali,
a few of the degreasers I use like purple cleaner advise testing on aluminum before using.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I have purple power. OK, we will see how pitted the rim gets after a year, when I will likely need a new tire.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I used to have a gallon of some kind of etching fluid made specifically for cleaning aluminium. Used it every three years or so to remove the zebra marks on my aluminium mast on my sailboat, caused by the rope and wire halyards running up to the masthead. This stuff was a Chemical etch-brush it on, let sit, hose off. Worked great. However once the annodizing is gone, it's hard to keep the corrosion off the surface.

You might call of one the marine rigging shops in the Bay Area and see what they use to clean aluminium masts. Iam sure there are several different proven methods out there that will work.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
CaptonZap

Post by CaptonZap »

f350ca wrote:Dish soap probably isn't the best but does work.
Was polishing an aluminum canoe this fall, with aluminum polish and a sheep skin buffing pad on the 7 inch sander/polisher. You could see it was shinny through the black residue but when I tried to wash the residue off with windex the shine wasn't there. Took a couple of tries to relies the windex had ammonia and was tarnishing the aluminum instantly. Soap and water worked.

Greg
Next time you do this, take some regular flour and sprinkle it an a soft rag and wipe the metal. It will take away the black smut.

CZ
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Here in South Florida, people use Sheila Shine for aluminum tuna towers and rocket launchers.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:Here in South Florida, people use Sheila Shine for aluminum tuna towers and rocket launchers.
Been usin' your bottle opener again Steve???

:lol:
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

That bottle opener is great. Don't be jealous.

I should get some more beer.

http://www.sheilashineinc.com/
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
EOsteam

Post by EOsteam »

Some of the best places to check out are the Aircraft supply houses. Aircraft Spruce, Chief Aircraft etc.. Airplanes have lots of Aluminum and the aircraft cleaners are made to play nice with Aluminum.

HJ
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

ctwo wrote:I was changing a motorcycle tire and had the question of what to use for lubrication.
A good friend of mine has a tire changing machine and has been changing my motorcycle tires for quite a few years (as well as probably hundreds of others) and this is the product he uses: https://www.nomartirechanger.com/Tire_L ... e-pint.htm

It has always worked very well both for dis-mounting and mounting tires and there's never been any sign of any kind of corrosion.

Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.