New Score for Shars

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

New Score for Shars

Post by SteveHGraham »

Got an interesting email today. Shars is now the official importer for Gator chucks. It seems like Shars keeps ramping up the quality all the time. I have two Gators, and I've been very happy with them. It sure beats paying the same amount for worn-out American chucks that have been screwed up with breaker bars.

They're really getting smart about the Internet. The email links to an Abom79 Youtube, in which Abom mounts and inspects a Gator.

It's strange that this company--owned by Asian immigrants and/or their kids--is doing so well, when American companies are fading. Americans could have done the exact same thing. In fact, Shars is now selling American products along with Chinese.

People used to complain about how primitive Shars was. People couldn't understand them on the phone. The service was dubious. Now they're doing great, and you can even start a PM thread about Shars without being nuked by Milacron.

I wonder if Shars is turning out to be the new Enco.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Re: New Score for Shars

Post by SteveHGraham »

Oddly, you can't buy a Gator from the Shars site yet.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

MrPete222 also has a video on a gator chuck.

Steve
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I still buy some things from MSC, but not near what I was from Enco. The sales aren't what they used to be.
When Enco said 25% off, it was 25% off. With MSC, it's "UP TO 25% 0ff".
I still check prices....and often they are still lower. If I have to pay freight, they are close too, so it's cheap.

Haven't done well at Shar's...but maybe I'll start looking there again. Been a while.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Re: Shars: I recently bought a 12" DRO scale from them for $42 (incl S&H), replete with all the mounting brackets and remote wire fed readout. Stainless scale, sheet metal brackets, but plastic every where else. Seems to work well so far.
The lathe live center works very well, too.

Re: MSC: I just got a snail mail from them from their OneStop shop. Sign in and get UP to 30% off and free shipping on orders over $49. Maybe I'll look there again.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

While Shars prices aren't the door-busters of Enco, I've not yet received anything I thought I paid too much for. The quality of the goods has, in fact, exceeded my expectations for the price!

Pete
Just tryin'