Yugoslavian Tool Quality?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Yugoslavian Tool Quality?

Post by SteveHGraham »

I found a nice price on a tap I want. It was made in Yugoslavia. Question: has anyone here had experience with Yugoslavian machine tools or cutting tools? I would hope it would be better than Chinese.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Evans

Re: Yugoslavian Tool Quality?

Post by John Evans »

Maybe ! Look at YUGO's
www.chaski.com
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

It must be old stock, Yugoslavia broke up about 15 years ago.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I decided to take a shot. NOS tap in a very expensive size for $27.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I have a 3/4" two flute end mill made in Yugoslavia. I have no clue when or where I got it, but it has, thus far, performed very well. You may have made a wise choice if your experience parallels mine.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Some time back, I got ambitious and made my own threading tool for a 3/4-6 Acme thread. It worked, but it was pretty tedious using it on inside threads, and I messed up two cast iron wheels learning to use it. I saved an Ebay search for taps, and I kept getting emails saying people were selling them for prices in the hundred-dollar range. Today this one popped up for $27 plus $1 shipping, and I realized I would never see a better deal.
TimTheGrim

Post by TimTheGrim »

Back in the late '70s early '80s I got a bunch of taps and reamers from Yugoslavia in the shop from a new supplier.
Some of them are still in my tool boxes, available for use today if I need them. They were used in a die shop environment on O1 and D2 and survived. I used to be happy when new ones arrived. I hope you are too.

Taps from Spain were worse than anything from modern China. Those I wouldn't accept and sent back
Illigitimi non Carborundum
'96 Birmingham mill, Enco 13x40 GH and Craftsman 6x18 lathes, Reid 2C surface grinder. Duro Bandsaw and lots of tooling from 30+ years in the machining trades and 15+ years in refinery units. Now retired
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The tap arrived. It says "TTC" on it, so I assume it's from Travers Tool. I didn't know the company had been in the rebadging business that long (back to the Yugoslavia days).

Don't know whether it's a good tap, but the current TTC import costs over $107, so I am happy.

Learned something new about Acme taps, as if they weren't complicated enough. A long time ago I got what I thought was a great deal on an Acme tap, and then I couldn't get a screw to go through the threads it left. It turned out it was an "Acme stub" tap, which means it was made for putting shallow threads inside things meant to receive threaded tubes. Now I have a 2G Acme tap. I looked it up, and there are three types of NON-STUB (!!!!) Acme taps: 2G, 3G, and 4G. The bigger the number, the less backlash you can expect.

I don't think I have to worry a whole lot about backlash, but now I know what 2G means.

There are also tandem taps and...whatever kind of tap isn't tandem. A tandem tap is two taps on one shaft. The first section roughs out the threads, leaving skinny cuts. The second section opens the threads up. I have a tandem tap. I would say it's 8" long.

I look forward to make some threads without doing 400 cuts with a homemade tool.

Other interesting alleged facts:

1. The Acme thread, developed in 1894, was named in 1895, for the Acme Machinery Company in Cleveland, Ohio. An Acme salesman proposed the name. It doesn't look like Acme created the thread. They just took the credit. Anyway, now I know why "Acme" is capitalized.

2. You can read old (really old) copies of American Machinist magazine online. This is where I found the 1895 story publicizing the invention of the Acme thread. It tells about the advantages of Acme threads.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id= ... 4;size=150

3. There is no evidence that the Acme company sold rockets, dynamite, anvils, giant magnets, or safes to coyotes or other predators, nor is there any truth to the rumor that the thread was patented by Wile E. Coyote.

Hope this is helpful.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote:Hope this is helpful.
This part certainly was: "nor is there any truth to the rumor that the thread was patented by Wile E. Coyote."
Can't tell you the number of nights I've lost sleep, pondering that very thing!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

In addition to stub and GP (each in four flavors) there are five classes of centralizing Acme threads. Wile E. Coyote is never going to get the tap he needs no matter how many times he re-orders.
spro

Post by spro »

"Can't tell " because there wasn't one :)
Didn't know there were that many flavors.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

The 3/8" 90° countersink I got from ENCO early last year has BOSNIA etched on the shank, along with the size. I looked it up and Bosnia/Herzegovina is next door to Yugoslavia in Serbia, so this remark is irrelevant.
--earlgo
P.S. The countersink works very well.
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.