Congrats to Harold V!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mklotz

Re: Congrats to Harold V!

Post by mklotz »

SteveHGraham wrote:So how many of those grads will be machinists?
An even more distressing question...

How many will become lawyers?
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Sigh!
Sadly, most likely none.
I often wonder. Do the people of the world realize the importance of machinists? I expect not.

Without them, there would be, literally, nothing. They are responsible for making everything. If not directly, indirectly, through tools/machines used to produce, package and market the product, what ever it may be.

I've never encountered anyone who was impressed that I worked as a machinist. Might just as well have told them I was a garbage collector (another honorable and needed "profession", for lack of a better description).

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

People who know a little bit about machining are impressed with your knowledge. I've been fooling with this stuff since 2007, and I feel like I know nearly nothing. When I come here with questions, you and a number of the others are fairly hard to stump. If it weren't for you, I might actually have to open Machinery's Handbook once in a while.

I'm also impressed with TIG welders, now that I have some inkling how complicated it is. MIG does nearly the same thing in many situations, but there are many less things to worry about.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

mklotz wrote:
An even more distressing question...

How many will become lawyers?
Only the ones who can't get into medical school.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

JackF wrote:Congrats again Harold and Susan, :D Dawn and I will also celebrate 40 years on the 11th of this month. :D Our second also. :wink: :D
Jack and Dawn.
Wow! That's great to hear, Jack. You and I had likely discussed this some time in the past, but my memory isn't what it used to be. It came as a surprise.

I'd like to extend congratulations from Susan and me to Dawn and you. Lets see if we can make it to 50 years. :wink:
If you folks ever find yourselves in our area, please stop by for a visit.

H&S
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Thank you Harold and Susan. We are on a roll and 50 seems doable. :wink: When Dawn and I had a place at Cowlitz Timber trails I met a couple of fishermen on the Cowlitz river who lived in the Onalaska area and commuted to Seattle every day to work at the Boeing plant as machinists so there is hope for some of those grads. :wink: :lol:

Jack.

P.S. Dawn and I don't get to Wa. much these days But would love to see you and Susan again. :) We will have to make a special effort.
Patio

Post by Patio »

I am a member of the local ABATE, "A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments", a motorcycle rights organization. Our chapter has been giving small Scholarships to each of the 11 high schools in Lewis County Washington, where both Harold and I live, for the last 14 years. To receive our scholarship one must have a 3.35 GPA or less. We are trying to reach a student that may be less advantaged and interested in a trade school or community college type education. Figuring if we can give them a push, they may figure out a way to keep things rolling. Onalaska High is one our recipients.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Nice job Patio! I am the board chairman of the Miss Newaukum Valley Scholarship committee. We award a $3000 scholarship to an outstanding young lady in the Onalaska, Napavine and Adna area. Unfortunately, we find few who wish to apply. We cannot run the program with less that three applicants.
This year we technically had three applicants and one came from Onalaska but could not continue due to our requirement of a 3.25 GPA as well. We will proceed with the two remaining applicants.
We require our candidates to receive classes organized by us on personal financial management, area history, government operations and etiquette. After the classes, the candidates are interviewed by a panel and the panel decides who receives the scholarship.
We are selling $10 tickets to raffle a pig, including cutting and wrapping, to fund the program.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Patio wrote: 3.35 GPA or less.
Our scholarships are $500 or $1,000 depending on how much money is raised that year.
A correction to my last statement is needed:
Patio wrote: Our chapter has been giving small Scholarships to each of the 11 high schools in Lewis County Washington,
A couple of years ago, a new chapter was formed in east Lewis county, "Elk Country" and they now take care of the 3 Eastern schools, Onalaska, Morton and White Pass.

We do the other 8 schools, in Lewis County, and our requirements are a 3.25 GPA or less, that you register for a school of your choice and we instruct the counselor that we want someone who isn't getting a pile of other scholarships. That's it!
We are hoping to reach someone that may not have a large support group and just needs a shove in the right direction. Our scholarship will help pay for some books or lab costs. We hope that if we can get them in, that if motivated, may find a way to keep the ball rolling.
We also have Safety and Education committee, that give presentations to driver education classes, in both the private and public education system, in the south west part of the state. In the public education system, some the presentations are recorded and then rebroadcast, to something like 6 other schools( but don't quote me on that).

I could go on about Lewis County ABATE's, food, toy, highway litter pick up, programs too. :D
Yes I am a little partial in my view here. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

curtis cutter, I am interested in a chance at some pork too. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Patio wrote:curtis cutter, I am interested in a chance at some pork too. :)
I have tickets. PM me you phone number and the next time I am in town I will look you up.

Gregg
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.