Starrett Precision #199 Levels

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Re: Starrett Precision #199 Levels

Post by SteveM »

For rust prevention, I use Boeshield. Never had anything to which I have applied Boeshield rust.

Never heard of VCI paper, but looking it up, it's not expensive and if it saves something like a Starrett 199, it's worth every penny.

Steve
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

2nd note on this. Go to ebay Item No. 232479771654. There are some very fine photos of a 199 + details of it wood box. Nice.
Cary
spro

Post by spro »

I tried that # and couldn't find that particular one. There are many available or recently sold. There seems to be a lot of precision levels out now.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
spro wrote:I tried that # and couldn't find that particular one. There are many available or recently sold. There seems to be a lot of precision levels out now.
I had the same problem until I tried it under completed auctions.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
spro

Post by spro »

Webb, yes. Completed and Sold are different. I had rarely seen the difference. My 199 is doing well wrapped in wax paper and whatever rust tracks were removed by a thumb nail and penetrant. This could have been much worse had not been alerted. It wasn't perfect when I got it. There were some dark spots and they remain.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

When I bought my first 199Z, it came from Starrett wrapped
in VCI paper inside its wooden box. I have kept it wrapped
in this paper when not in use.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

That one sold between the time I looked at it on ebay and when I posted in this forum and the Buy-It forum.
Cary
spro

Post by spro »

Yes. That one appears to have been a really good deal. Most in that shape command higher prices. I'm not sure what the difference is between 199 and 199z . 1967 catalog shows 199 , 1994 price list shows 199z ( $411 suggested retail). I bought mine at a live auction around that time for $199. While older it is crisp with no gouges, visible scratches or rounded corners.
Just mentioning something else now. The dark spots were treated with PB Blaster, allowed to sit and scraped with a credit card. It was an unused card similar to a credit card and it brought out the stained areas very well.
spro

Post by spro »

I don't see how a plastic card could effect those areas. It is finest iron and steel tools to scrape it. However, I almost went bone head by closing the case with the penetrant film still there. I don't think that would have been good for the crinkle paint. I'll get VCI paper and Boeshield for things like this. More. This is the older case with wood strips and felt. The newer use a plastic foam. I'm sure it is very good foam but certain items are to be put away dry. Those cases fit tight and whatever is on the tool attacks the foams and paint in many cases.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

spro wrote:Those cases fit tight and whatever is on the tool attacks the foams and paint in many cases.
I ran into that with a set of carbide pc board drill bits. I wiped them before putting them away but apparently they needed to be cleaned with soap and water. The foam turned to goop which then stuck to the bits and dried. All they had on them was traces of cutting oil.
spro

Post by spro »

I totally agree. We have seen this with decent measuring tools and the goop sticks to the fine slides. Hairy situation, removing that without contaminating the slide bearings.
spro

Post by spro »

We've all had levels with bad vials. They got damaged or leaked and the bubble is too long to be accurate. My 199 has long bubble of aprox 1.575" . That length puts it right into the Major graduation lines and while it shifts, each side meets the minor graduation lines. I mention this because somebody may come across this type level and think there is something wrong with the vial. Each minor graduation is .0005 IN/ 1 FOOT .
If the bubble was shorter, 1" long, it would meet the minor graduations but it would not meet at each side except there.