Boring head

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Boring head

Post by Mr Ron »

I have a Criterion 2" boring head and would like to use it to bore a 3-1/2" diameter hole on my vertical mill. I'm not acquainted with the boring bar that fits the head in the horizontal plane. I'm thinking a straight boring bar with a 90° offset is needed. The setup would look like a fly cutter; am I right?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
warmstrong1955

Re: Boring head

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Check these guys out.
I have attachments for my 2" and 3" boring heads. I also have some bars & threading bars I picked up from them.

http://www.mesatool.com/products/boring ... tachments/

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

You can use a square tool bit through the cross hole. Depending on the size of the bit you may need to chamfer the corners for it to fit the hole. Alternatively, you may want to start with a piece of 1/2" round with a piece of carbide brazed to the end.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

warmstrong1955 wrote:Check these guys out.
I have attachments for my 2" and 3" boring heads. I also have some bars & threading bars I picked up from them.

http://www.mesatool.com/products/boring ... tachments/

Bill
Thanks; exactly what I was looking for.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Mr Ron wrote: Thanks; exactly what I was looking for.
I bought the Mesa two pin attachments for the 2" & 3" boring head back when I was still milling with a 3 in 1. Needed all the rigidity I could get, and that they are. I have all three on the left side of the page, plus the two bars at the bottom.....and several others.....
Nice that you can spin around the two pin attachments, and bore larger holes too. More rigid than just a bar.

All his stuff is hardened steel. His carbide isn't bad either!
If I'm boring...chances are I'm doing it with a Mesa tool in the boring head. I like 'em!

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
pete

Post by pete »

There a bit tough to find on the Criterion website but they do make a proper 1/2" shank boring bar designed to fit that cross hole in the DBL 202 heads. Very nicely made and works really well. I think if my memory is right you can bore with through holes up to about 7 1/2" in diameter. Obviously slow speeds and light cuts at that size because of the tool tip speed and possible chatter. But the cross hole boring bars are pretty much like a right hand lathe boring bar.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

pete wrote:But the cross hole boring bars are pretty much like a right hand lathe boring bar.
Left hand if you use a threaded shank boring head, Pete.
DSC00482.JPG
I like SCLCL bars
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
pete

Post by pete »

LOL, busted, your of course 100% right. The excuse? It was late and I was tired and that's the one I'll have to stick with since I've nothing else even semi believable I could use. :-) Thanks for correcting that Glenn. I really like the Narex shank to head attachment design except for the price of the Narex shanks. Imo it's far superior to the more normal threaded attachment like Criterion and all the offshore clones use. The heads can be swung in either direction with no chance of them unscrewing.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

The old, well used, Walhaupter above has an integral Moore shank, and Moore Jig Borers only run in one direction. (hence the left hand bar) My Criterion DBL202 also has an integral Moore shank. I have a basically new Walhaupter that has a removable Moore shank, but I find the slight difference in overall length to be quite noticeable as far as rigidity, which was a discussion in a different thread somewhere, so it lives in it's nice wooden box while the old, shorter, integral shank model sees all of the action.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
pete

Post by pete »

The Narex heads use a precision ground short but fairly large bore in the top of the head and a short ground stub shaft on the shanks end that fits the head bore with maybe .0005 clearance Glenn. The shanks have a flange just above that stub shaft and the shank gets attached to the head with four 6mm? allen bolts. Like your integral shank it's noticably more rigid than the threaded attachment Criterion uses even though Criterion do a very precise thread fit. I looked for over 2 years for a good used Walhapter R8 B & F head at a semi resonable price before finaly giving up and buying the Narex. Have never seen a Walhaupter never mind use one, but I've heard there even better made than the Narex. I haven't been paying proper attention and didn't know you had a Moore jig borer. I'm envious. :-) Too tall and heavy for my shop though.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

pete wrote:and didn't know you had a Moore jig borer.
Heh! If memory serves, he has three of them. Talk about envy! :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I hate to sound like someone's wife, but why would one person need three jig borers?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.